Einstein-Montefiore Timeline

Albert Einstein College of Medicine, a part of Montefiore, is a premier, research-intensive medical school dedicated to innovative biomedical investigation and to the development of ethical and compassionate physicians and scientists. Inspired by the words of our namesake, we have from our inception welcomed students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds who strive to enhance human health in the community and beyond. This is an attribute in which Albert Einstein took great pride when consenting to the use of his name in conjunction with the medical school.

Einstein’s first medical school class

1955

Two years after scientist and humanitarian Albert Einstein agrees to lend his name to a new medical school, the College of Medicine welcomes its first class of students (pictured here on graduation day, 1959).

1955
Einstein affiliates with Montefiore

1963

Einstein affiliates with Montefiore. Seated, from left: Jacob W. Schwab, president, Montefiore Hospital; Samuel Belkin, Ph.D., president, Yeshiva University. Standing, from left: Marcus D. Kogel, M.D., dean, Albert Einstein College of Medicine; Martin Cherkasky, M.D., director, Montefiore.

1963
Montefiore assumes operation Weiler Hospital

1969

Montefiore assumes operational responsibility for Einstein’s Jack D. Weiler Hospital.

1969
Departments of medicine merge

1980

The Einstein and Montefiore departments of medicine merge, combining the strengths of both campuses. Louis Sherwood, M.D., becomes the first unified chair of medicine.

1980
Montefiore employs joint faculty

1990

Montefiore employs joint Einstein-Montefiore faculty.

1990
Reaffirming the partnership

2009

Dean Allen M. Spiegel, M.D., and Steven M. Safyer, M.D., president and CEO of Montefiore, sign a renewal agreement reaffirming the partnership between Einstein and Montefiore. The two institutions agree that Einstein will administer research grants awarded to Montefiore.

2009
Einstein and Montefiore jointly recruit faculty

2012-2014

Continuing the effort begun in 1977 to develop unified departments, each headed by a single chair, Einstein and Montefiore jointly recruit Judy L. Aschner, M.D. (pediatrics), pictured at right; Mark P. Schoenberg, M.D. (urology); Matthew N. Bartels, M.D. (physical medicine and rehabilitation); and Sharmila K. Makhija, M.D. (obstetrics & gynecology and women’s health).

2012-2014
Yeshiva University-Montefiore agreement finalized

2015

The YU-Montefiore agreement is finalized. Montefiore has operational and financial responsibility for Einstein, and Einstein becomes its own legal entity. Transfer to Montefiore of Einstein clinical programs (e.g., the Division of Substance Abuse, the Children’s Evaluation and Rehabilitation Center) is complete.

2015