1955 Two years after scientist and humanitarian Albert Einstein agrees to lend his name to a new medical school, the College of Medicine welcomes its first class of students (pictured here on graduation day, 1959).
1963 Einstein affiliates with Montefiore. Seated, from left: Jacob W. Schwab, president, Montefiore Hospital; Samuel Belkin, Ph.D., president, Yeshiva University. Standing, from left: Marcus D. Kogel, M.D., dean, Albert Einstein College of Medicine; Martin Cherkasky, M.D., director, Montefiore.
1969 Montefiore assumes operational responsibility for Einstein’s Jack D. Weiler Hospital.
1980 The Einstein and Montefiore departments of medicine merge, combining the strengths of both campuses. Louis Sherwood, M.D., becomes the first unified chair of medicine.
1990 Montefiore employs joint Einstein-Montefiore faculty.
2009 Dean Allen M. Spiegel, M.D., and Steven M. Safyer, M.D., president and CEO of Montefiore, sign a renewal agreement reaffirming the partnership between Einstein and Montefiore. The two institutions agree that Einstein will administer research grants awarded to Montefiore.
2012-2014 Continuing the effort begun in 1977 to develop unified departments, each headed by a single chair, Einstein and Montefiore jointly recruit Judy L. Aschner, M.D. (pediatrics), pictured above; Mark P. Schoenberg, M.D. (urology); Matthew N. Bartels, M.D. (physical medicine and rehabilitation); and Sharmila K. Makhija, M.D. (obstetrics & gynecology and women’s health).
2015 The YU-Montefiore agreement is finalized. Montefiore has operational and financial responsibility for Einstein, and Einstein becomes its own legal entity. Transfer to Montefiore of Einstein clinical programs (e.g., the Division of Substance Abuse, the Children’s Evaluation and Rehabilitation Center) is complete.