Mia M. Thi, Ph.D.
With a background in biomedical engineering, my research is focused on mechanisms of bone modeling and remodeling in health and disease, especially diabetes. Major research projects include:
1. Mechanism by which diabetes alters bone cell mechanosensing, signaling and transduction
2. Role of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in bone mechanotransduction
3. Mechanism of mechanotransduction by osteocytes
4. Role of junctional proteins in bone mechanotransduction
5. Role of glycocalyx in endothelial mechanotransduction
6. Interaction between purinergic receptors and gap junctions in diabetes.
Training opportunities are available for students and both research and clinical fellows in my laboratory with respect to each of these project areas.
- Thi MM, Suadicani SO, Schaffler MB, Weinbaum S, Spray DC. Mechanosensory responses of osteocytes to physiological forces occur along processes and not cell body and require αVβ3 Integrin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 110:21012-21017, 2013. PMCID: PMC3876252
- Scharf B, Clement CC, Yodmuang S, Urbanska A, Suadicani SO, Aphkhazava D, Thi MM, Perino G, Hardin J, Cobelli N, Vunjak-Novakovic G, Santambrogio L. Age-related carbonylation of fibro-cartilage structural proteins drives tissue degenerative modification. Chem Biol. 2013, 20:922-934. PMCID: PMC3758909
- Spray DC,Hanstein R, Stout R, Suadicani SO, Thi MM. Gap junctions and Bystander effects: Good Samaritans and executioners. WIREs Membr Transp Signal, 2:1-15, 2013. PMCID: PMC3614363
- Thi MM, Ebong EE, Spray DC, Suadicani SO. Interaction of the glycocalyx with the actin cytoskeleton. In: Dermietzel R editor. The Cytoskeleton: Imaging, Isolation, and Interaction, Neuromethods, vol.79, 43-62, Springer Science+Business Media, 2013. (DOI 10.1007/978-1-62703-266-7_3)
- Thi MM, Islam S, Suadicani SO, Spray DC. Connexin43 and Pannexin 1 in Osteoblasts: Who is the “hemichannel”? J Membr Biol, 245:401-409, 2012. PMCID: PMC3427001
- Weinbaum S, Duan Y, Thi MM, You L. An integrative review of mechanotransduction in endothelial, epithelial (renal) and dendritic cells (osteocytes). Cell Mol Bioeng, 4:510-537, 2011. PMCID: PMC3748935
- Thi MM, Urban-Maldonado M, Spray DC, Suadicani SO. Characterization of hTERT-immortalized osteoblast cell lines generated from wildtype and connexin43-null mouse calvaria. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol, 299:C994-1006, 2010. PMCID: PMC2980299
- Thi MM, Suadicani SO, Spray DC. Fluid flow-induced soluble vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) isoforms regulate actin adaptation in osteoblasts. J Biol Chem, 285:30931-41, 2010. PMCID: PMC2945584
- Hatakeyama N, Kojima T, Iba K, Murata M, Thi MM, Spray DC, Osanai M, Chiba H, Ishiai S, Yamashita T, Sawada N. IGF-I regulates tight junction protein claudin-1 during differentiation of osteoblast-like MC3T3-E1 cells via a MAP-kinase pathway. Cell Tissue Res., 334:243-254, 2008. PMCID: PMC2692508
- Thi MM, Spray DC, Hanani M. Aquaporin-4 water channels in enteric neurons. J Neurosci Res, 86:448-456, 2008. PMCID: PMC2713861
- Thi MM, Iacobas DA, Iacobas S, Spray DC. Fluid shear stress up-regulates Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor gene expression in osteoblasts. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 1117:73-81, 2007.
- Thi MM, Weinbaum S, Tarbell JM, Spray DC. The role of the glycocalyx in reorganization of the actin cytoskeleton under fluid shear stress: A ‘bumper-car’ model. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 101:16483-16488, 2004. PMCID: PMC534550
- Thi MM, Kojima T, Cowin SC, Weinbaum S, Spray DC. Fluid shear stress remodels expression and function of junctional proteins in cultured bone cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol, 284:C389-403, 2003.
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.