Professor of Clinical Radiation Oncology, Department of Radiation Oncology
Professor of Clinical Otorhinolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery, Department of Otorhinolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
Professor of Clinical Urology, Department of Urology
Dr. Garg is the Clinical Director of Radiation Oncology, Director of Montefiore-Einstein's Proton Therapy Program and Co-Director of Stereotactic Radiation Therapy Program at Montefiore Medical Center.
He earned his medical degree at King George’s Medical College and completed his residency in radiation oncology at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Hospital in Chicago and Montefiore in New York City. He also completed a specialized fellowship at Wayne State University in Detroit.
Dr. Garg is the recipient of the prestigious American Society of Clinical Oncology’s Young Investigator's Award and the Department of Defense Physician Research Award. He is listed as one of the “New York Top Doctors,” “America’s Top Oncologists” and “Best Doctors in America.”
Dr. Garg serves on several Montefiore and Einstein committees, as well as international societies such as the American Society of Clinical Oncology, the American College of Radiology and the American Society for Radiation Oncology. He is on the review boards for several journals, including International Journal of Radiation Oncology • Biology • Physics.
Dr. Garg is a principal investigator of several national and international research studies involving novel cancer treatment modalities and is actively involved in quality of life and healthcare disparities issues for cancer patients.
His areas of interest are as below:
1. Advanced Technologies in Radiation Oncology (IMRT and IGRT)
2. Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) for brain and spinal cord tumors
3.Proton Therapy and Particle Therapy
4. Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) for lung and liver malignancies
5. Functional imaging and adaptive planning for Head/Neck malignancies
6. Translational research involving role of Anti-Angiogenensis and Immunotherapy in radiation therapy
7. Addressing Disparties in Cancer Care
8. Diet, Nutrition and Cancer
1. Garg MK, Tekyi-Mensah S, Bolton S, Velasco J, Pontes E, Wood Jr DP, Porter AT, Forman JD: The impact of Post-Prostatectomy PSA nadir on outcomes following salvage radiotherapy. Urology 1998; 51(6): 998-1002.
2. Guha C, Parashar B, Deb NJ, Garg MK, Gorla GR, Singh A, Roy-Chowdhury N, Vikram B, Roy-Chowdhury J: Normal hepatocytes correct serum bilirubin after repopulation of Gunn rat liver subjected to irradiation/partial resection. Hepatology, 2002; 36: 354-62.
3. Sood B, Garg MK, Avadhani J, Gorla G, Malhotra H, Deore S, Vikram B: Predictive value of Linear Quadratic Model in the treatment of Cervix Cancer using High Dose Rate Brachytherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2002; 54(5): 1377-1387.
4. Garg MK, Yaparpalvi R, Beitler JJ: Loss of Cervical Spinal Curvature during radiation therapy for head and neck cancers. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2004; 58(1):185-188.
5.Garg MK, Beitler JJ: Controversies in management of neck in head and neck cancer. Curr Treat Options Oncol 2004; 5(1): 35-40.
6.Garg MK, Sharma A, Gorla G, Jaggernauth W, Beitler, JJ: Role of High Dose Rate Brachytherapy in management of Recurrent Keloids after Surgery and External Beam Radiation therapy. Radiother Oncol 2004; 73(2): 233-236.
7. Novetsky A, Einstein M, Goldberg G, Hailpern S, Landau E, Fields A, Mutyala M, Kalnicki S, Garg MK: Efficacy And Toxicity Of Concomitant Cisplatin With External Beam Pelvic Radiotherapy And Two High Dose Rate Brachytherapy Insertions For The Treatment Of Locally-Advanced Cervical Cancer. Radiother Oncol. 2004 Nov;73(2):233-6.
8. Beitler JJ, Garg MK, Ahn A, Owen R, Smith R: “High Dose Rate (HDR) Brachytherapy plus Neck Dissection for Nodal Disease” Head Neck. 2008 Mar 7; [Epub ahead of print]
9. A Mukhopadhaya, J Mendecki, X Dong, L Liu, S Kalnicki, M Garg, A Alfieri, C Guha: “Localized Hyperthermia Combined with Intratumoral Dendritic Cells Induces Systemic Antitumor Immunity”. Cancer Res. 2007 Aug 15;67(16):7798-806.
10. J Belbin, A Bergman, M Brandwein-Gensler, Q Chen, G Childs, M Garg, M Haigentz, R Hogue-Angeletti, R Moadel, A Negassa, R Owen, MB Prystowsky1, B Schiff, NF Schlecht, K Shifteh, RV Smith, X Zheng: “Head and Neck Cancer: Reduce and Integrate for Optimal Outcome.” Genes Genet Syst. 2007 Oct;82(5):403-8.
11. Peter H. Ahn, MD and Madhur K. Garg, MD: “PET-CT in head and neck cancers for target delineation.” Semin Nucl Med. 2008 Mar;38(2):141-8.
Yaparpalvi R, Mutyala S, Gorla GR, Butler J, Mah D, Garg MK, Kalnicki S. Point vs. volumetric bladder and rectal doses in combined intracavitary-interstitial high-dose-rate brachytherapy: correlation and comparison with published Vienna applicator data. Brachytherapy. 2008 Oct-Dec;7(4):336-42. Epub 2008 Sep 7.
12. Ahn PH, Ahn AI, Lee CJ, Shen J, Miller E, Lukaj A, Milan E, Yaparpalvi R, Kalnicki S, Garg MK. “Random positional variation among the skull, mandible, and cervical spine with treatment progression during head-and-neck radiotherapy”. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Feb 1;73(2):626-33.
13. Hong LX, Chen CC, Garg M, Yaparpalvi R, Mah D. “Clinical experiences with onboard imager KV images for linear accelerator-based stereotactic radiosurgery and radiotherapy setup.” Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Feb 1;73(2):556-61.
14. Skinner WK, Muse ED, Yaparpalvi R, Guha C, Garg MK, Kalnicki S. “Obtaining normal tissue constraints using intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) in patients with oral cavity, oropharyngeal, and laryngeal carcinoma.” Med Dosim. 2009 winter; 34(4):279-84. Epub 2008 Dec 26
15. Lee CC, Wu A, Garg M, Mutyala S, Kalnicki S, Sayed G, Mah D “A new approach to reduce number of split fields in large field IMRT.” Med Dosim. [Epub ahead of print]
16. Chen CC, Lee CC, Mah D, Sharma R, Landau E, Garg M, Wu A. “Dose sparing of brainstem and spinal cord for re-irradiating recurrent head and neck cancer with intensity-modulated radiotherapy.” Med Dosim. 2010 Mar 3. [Epub ahead of print]
17. Quon H, Yom SS, Garg MK, Lawson J, McDonald MW, Ridge JA, Saba N, Salama J, Smith R, Yeung AR, Beitler JJ “ACR Appropriateness Criteria: local-regional therapy for resectable oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas.”Curr Probl Cancer. 2010 May-Jun;34(3):175-92. Review
18. C. R. Salazar, R. V. Smith, M. Garg, M. Haigentz Jr., B. Schiff, N. Kawachi, J. Ostoloza, T. J. Belbin, M. B. Prystowsky, R. D. Burk, N. F. Schlecht : “Human papillomavirus associated survival and response to therapy in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma” Manuscript submitted to Annals of Oncology.
19. Expert Panel on Radiation Oncology-Head and Neck, Salama JK, Saba N, Quon H, MK Garg, Lawson J, McDonald MW, Ridge JA, Smith RV, Yeung AR, Yom SS, Beitler JJ. ACR appropriateness criteria® adjuvant therapy for resected squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Oral Oncol. 2011 Jul;47(7):554-9. Epub 2011 Jun 12.
20. McDonald MW, Lawson J, Garg MK, Quon H, Ridge JA, Saba N, Salama JK, Smith RV, Yeung AR, Yom SS, Beitler JJ; Expert Panel on Radiation Oncology-Head and Neck Cancer. ACR appropriateness criteria retreatment of recurrent head and neck cancer after prior definitive radiation expert panel on radiation oncology-head and neck cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Aug 1;80(5):1292-8. Epub 2011 Apr 27. Review.
21. Hong LX, Garg M, Lasala P, Kim M, Mah D, Chen CC, Yaparpalvi R, Mynampati D, Kuo HC, Guha C, Kalnicki S. Experience of micromultileaf collimator linear accelerator based single fraction stereotactic radiosurgery: tumor dose inhomogeneity, conformity, and dose fall off. Med Phys. 2011 Mar;38(3):1239-47
22. Ahn PH, Chen CC, Ahn AI, Hong L, Scripes PG, Shen J, Lee CC, Miller E,Kalnicki S, Garg MK. Adaptive planning in intensity-modulated radiation therapy for head and neck cancers: single-institution experience and clinical implications. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011 Jul 1;80(3):677-85. Epub 2010 Jul 9.
23. Saini G, Aggarwal A, Chomal M, Srivastava R, Sharma PK, Nangia S, Garg M. Cranio-spinal irradiation with volumetric modulated arc therapy: a multi-institutional treatment experience. Radiother Oncol. 2012 Feb;102(2):322; Epub 2011 Oct 6.
24. Yeung AR, Garg MK, Lawson J, McDonald MW, Quon H, Ridge JA, Saba N, Salama JK, Smith RV, Yom SS, Beitler JJ; ACR Appropriateness Criteria® ipsilateral radiation for squamous cell carcinoma of the tonsil. Expert Panel on Radiation Oncology--Head & Neck Cancer American College of Radiology. Head Neck. 2012 May;34(5):613-6. doi: 10.1002/hed.21993. Epub 2012 Jan 17.
25. Garg MK, Glanzman J, Kalnicki S. The evolving role of positron emission tomography-computed tomography in organ-preserving treatment of head and neck cancer. Semin Nucl Med. 2012 Sep;42(5):320-7. doi: 10.1053/j.semnuclmed.2012.04.005. Review.
26. Garg MK, Ridge JA, Yom SS, McDonald MW, Quon H, Smith RV, Yeung AR, Lawson J, Saba N, Salama JK, Beitler JJ. Reply, contralateral irradiation for T(limited)N2bM0 lateralized tonsil cancer. Head Neck. 2013 Mar;35(3):465-6. doi: 10.1002/hed.23212. Epub 2013 Feb 5. No abstract available.
27. Ohri N, Garg MK, Aparo S, Kaubisch A, Tome W, Kennedy TJ, Kalnicki S, Guha C.Who benefits from adjuvant radiation therapy for gastric cancer? A meta-analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013 Jun 1;86(2):330-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2013.02.008. Epub 2013 Mar 20. Review.
28. Gez E, Cytron S, Ben Yosef R, London D, Corn BW, Alani S, Scarzello G, Dal Moro F, Sotti G, Zattoni F, Koziol I, Torre T, Bassignani M, Kalnicki S, Ghavamian R, Blakaj D, Anscher M, Sommerauer M, Jocham D, Melchert C, Huttenlocher S, Kovacs G, Garg M. Application of an interstitial and biodegradable balloon system for prostate-rectum separation during prostate cancer radiotherapy: a prospective multi-center study. Radiat Oncol. 2013 Apr 23;8:96. doi: 10.1186/1748-717X-8-96.
29. Mourad WF, Young BM, Young R, Blakaj DM, Orhi N, Shourbaji RA, Manolidis S, Gámez M, Kumar M, Khorsandi A, Khan MA, Shasha D, Blakaj A, Glanzman J, Garg MK, Hu KS, Kalnicki S, Harrison LB. Clinical validation and applications for CT-based atlas for contouring the lower cranial nerves for head and neck cancer radiation therapy. Oral Oncol. 2013 Sep;49(9):956-63. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2013.03.449. Epub 2013 Apr 25.
30. Ridge JA, Lawson J, Yom SS, Garg MK, McDonald MW, Quon H, Saba N, Salama JK, Smith RV, Worden F, Yeung AR, Beitler JJ. American College of Radiology Appropriateness Criteria(®) treatment of stage I T1 glottic cancer. Head Neck. 2014 Jan;36(1):3-8. doi: 10.1002/hed.23381. Epub 2013 Sep 18. Review.
31. Einarson TR, Zilbershtein R, Skoupá J, Veselá S, Garg M, Hemels ME. Economic and clinical comparison of atypical depot antipsychotic drugs for treatment of chronic schizophrenia in the Czech Republic. J Med Econ. 2013 Sep;16(9):1089-95. doi: 10.3111/13696998.2013.820193. Epub 2013 Jul 9.
32. Mourad WF, Blakaj DM, Kabarriti R, Young R, Shourbaji RA, Glanzman J, Patel S, Yaparpalvi R, Kalnicki S, Garg MK. Lack of adjuvant radiotherapy may increase risk of retropharyngeal node recurrence in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck after transoral robotic surgery. Case Rep Oncol Med. 2013;2013:727904. doi: 10.1155/2013/727904. Epub 2013 Jun 13.
33. Salazar CR, Smith RV, Garg MK, Haigentz M Jr, Schiff BA, Kawachi N, Anayannis N, Belbin TJ, Prystowsky MB, Burk RD, Schlecht NF. Human papillomavirus-associated head and neck squamous cell carcinoma survival: a comparison by tumor site and initial treatment. Head Neck Pathol. 2014 Mar;8(1):77-87. doi: 10.1007/s12105-013-0486-4. Epub 2013 Sep 4.
34. Mourad WF, Young R, Kabarriti R, Blakaj DM, Shourbaji RA, Glanzman J, Patel S, Ohri N, Yaparpalvi R, Beitler JJ, Kalnicki S, Garg MK. 25-year follow-up of HIV-positive patients with benign lymphoepithelial cysts of the parotid glands: a retrospective review. Anticancer Res. 2013 Nov;33(11):4927-32.
35. Salazar CR, Anayannis N, Smith RV, Wang Y, Haigentz M Jr, Garg M, Schiff BA, Kawachi N, Elman J, Belbin TJ, Prystowsky MB, Burk RD, Schlecht NF. Combined P16 and human papillomavirus testing predicts head and neck cancer survival. Int J Cancer. 2014 Nov 15;135(10):2404-12. doi: 10.1002/ijc.28876. Epub 2014 Apr 17.
36. Salama JK, Golden DW, Yom SS, Garg MK, Lawson J, McDonald MW, Quon H, Ridge JA, Saba N, Smith RV, Worden F, Yeung AR, Beitler JJ. ACR Appropriateness Criteria® thyroid carcinoma. Oral Oncol. 2014 Jun;50(6):577-86. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2013.12.004.
37. Kawashita Y, Deb NJ, Garg MK, Kabarriti R, Fan Z, Alfieri AA, Roy-Chowdhury J, Guha C. An autologous in situ tumor vaccination approach for hepatocellular carcinoma. 2. Tumor-specific immunity and cure after radio-inducible suicide gene therapy and systemic CD40-ligand and Flt3-ligand gene therapy in an orthotopic tumor model. Radiat Res. 2014 Aug;182(2):201-10. doi: 10.1667/RR13617.1. Epub 2014 Jul 3.
38. Kawashita Y, Deb NJ, Garg M, Kabarriti R, Alfieri A, Takahashi M, Roy-Chowdhury J, Guha C. An autologous in situ tumor vaccination approach for hepatocellular carcinoma. 1. Flt3 ligand gene transfer increases antitumor effects of a radio-inducible suicide gene therapy in an ectopic tumor model. Radiat Res. 2014 Aug;182(2):191-200. doi: 10.1667/RR13594.1. Epub 2014 Jun 27.
39. Yaparpalvi R, Mehta KJ, Bernstein MB, Kabarriti R, Hong LX, Garg MK, Guha C, Kalnicki S, Tomé WA. Contouring and constraining bowel on a full-bladder computed tomography scan may not reflect treatment bowel position and dose certainty in gynecologic external beam radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014 Nov 15;90(4):802-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2014.07.016. Epub 2014 Sep 20.
40. Kabarriti R, Ohri N, Hannan R, Tishbi N, Baliga S, McGovern KP, Mourad WF, Ghavamian R, Kalnicki S, Guha C, Garg MK. Prostate-specific antigen decline during salvage radiation therapy following prostatectomy is associated with reduced biochemical failure. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2014;4(6):409-14. doi: 10.1016/j.prro.2014.01.002. Epub 2014 Feb 22.
41. Hong LX, Shankar V, Shen J, Kuo HC, Mynampati D, Yaparpalvi R, Goddard L, Basavatia A, Fox J, Garg M, Kalnicki S, Tomé WA. Spine stereotactic body radiation therapy plans: Achieving dose coverage, conformity, and dose falloff. Med Dosim. 2014 Dec 10. pii: S0958-3947(14)00125-3. doi: 10.1016/j.meddos.2014.11.002. [Epub ahead of print]
42. Ohri N, Rapkin BD, Guha D, Haynes-Lewis H, Guha C, Kalnicki S, Garg M. Predictors of radiation therapy noncompliance in an urban academic cancer center. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015 Jan 1;91(1):232-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2014.09.030.
Ow TJ, Pitts CE, Kabarriti R, Garg MK. Effective Biomarkers and Radiation Treatment in Head and Neck Cancer. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2015 Jun 5. [Epub ahead of print]
43. Kabarriti R, Mark, D, Garg, MK. Proton therapy for the treatment of pediatric head and neck cancers: a review. J Ped Otorhinolaryng 2105 [in Press]
44. Paul B. Romesser, Oren Cahlon,Eli D. Scher, Eugen B. Hug,Kevin Sine, Carl DeSelm, Jana L. Fox, Dennis Mah, Madhur K. Garg, John Han-Chih Chang, and Nancy Y. Lee: “Proton Beam Re-Irradiation for Recurrent Head and Neck Cancer: Multi-Institutional Report on Feasibility and Early Outcomes”:Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015 (in press)
More Information About Dr. Madhur Garg
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.
Montefiore Medical Center
111 East 210th Street
Klau, Room 3
Bronx, NY 10467