Clinical Professor Emeritus, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
Clinical Professor Emeritus, The Saul R. Korey Department of Neurology
Clinical Professor Emeritus, The Leo M. Davidoff Department of Neurological Surgery
Dr. Thomas L. Slamovits is an internationally renowned medical expert with extensive experience in neuro-ophthalmic disorders and orbital and systemic diseases. He has a special interest in optic nerve and orbital diseases and has popularized the diagnosis of orbital tumors by fine needle aspiration biopsy. He also has an interest and expertise in the ocular manifestations of systemic diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis and cancer and has an interest in the effects of certain medications on the visual system. To read about one of Dr. Slamovits' cases, please see this case, published in the November 14, 2014 issue of The New York Times Magazine, and also in more detail on the New York Times Well Blog feature Think Like a Doctor (Going Blind and Going Blind Solved!)
Dr. Slamovits served as Vice-chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology and Professor of Ophthalmology, Neurology and Neurosurgery for 14 years. He is currently in private practice and continues his affiliation with the Albert Einstein College of Medicine as Clinical Professor in the Departments of Ophthalmology, Neurology and Neurosurgery.
In addition to his wide-ranging clinical experience, Dr. Slamovits is a highly respected academic physician.
He has published numerous scientific papers, chapters, and textbooks, and has served on the editorial boards of:
He has also served as:
In addition, he is currently the Chair of the Membership Committee of the Manhattan Ophthalmological Society.
Dr. Slamovits is the recipient of the American Academy of Ophthalmology Honor and Senior Honor Awards and of the Secretariat Award for special contributions to the Academy and ophthalmology.
He has been listed in:
Dr. Slamovits obtained his medical degree from Ohio State University, where he was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha. After completing his ophthalmology residency at the University of Pittsburgh, he was a Heed Fellow in Neuro-ophthalmology at Barnes Hospital and the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. He returned to the University of Pittsburgh as Director of the Neuro-ophthalmology Service and was promoted to Associate Professor. He subsequently joined the faculty at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine as Director of the Neuro-ophthalmology Service. Prior to earning his medical degree, Dr. Slamovits served in the United States Public Health Service, assessing the extent of lung disease (pneumoconiosis) in coal miners.
A. Original Publications/Communications in Reviewed Journals
64. Geyer HL, Herskovitz S, Slamovits TL, Schaumburg HH. Optochiasmatic and Peripheral Neuropathy Due to Ethambutol Overtreatment. J Neuro-Ophthalmol 2014 Sep; 34: 257-258.
63. Slamovits TL, Posner JB, Reidy DL, Thirkill CE, Keltner JL. Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Paraneoplastic Optic Neuropathy: Confirmation with Antibody to Optic Nerve and Hepatic Metastasis. J Neuro-Ophthalmol 2013 Mar; 33: 21-25.
62. Mbekeani JN, Slamovits TL. Biphosphanate-Induced Orbital inflammation. J Neuro-Ophthalmol 2010 Jun; 30: 205-206
61. Foroozan R, Slamovits TL, Ksiazek SM and Zak R. Spontaneous Resolution of Aneurysmal Third Nerve Palsy. J Neuro-Ophthalmol 2002 Sep; 22: 211-214
60. Gopalaswamy R, Burde RM, Slamovits, TL. Role of MRI in the Diagnosis of Orbital Lesions.(Abstract) J of Neuroimaging 2001; 11:86.
59. Schultz JS, Slamovits TL, Rockwood EJ, Coleman AL. Surgical management of glaucoma associated with pseudophakia. Surv Ophthalmol. 2001;46(3):275-82.
58. Frohman L, Grigorian R, and Slamovits TL. Evolution of Sarcoid Granulomas of the Retina, American Journal of Ophthalmology 2001; 131:661-662.
57. Goldberg S, Slamovits TL, Dorfman HD, and Rosenbaum PS. Sarcomatous Transformation of the Orbit in a Patient with Paget’s Disease. Ophthalmology 2000: 107:1464-1467.
56. Mbekeani JN, Slamovits TL, Schwartz BH, and Sauer HL. Ocular Inflammation Associated with Alendronate (FOSAMAX) Therapy, Archives of Ophthalmology 1999 117: (6) 837.
55. Gordon RN, Slamovits TL, Rosenbaum, PS and Bello J. Calcified Scleral Plaques Imaged on Orbital Computed Tomography, American Journal of Ophthalmology 1999 127 (4) 461.
54. Gordon RN, Burde RM, Slamovits TL, Asymptomatic Optic Disc Edema. Journal of Neuroophthalmology 1997: 17 (1): 29.
53. Cangiarella, NF, Cajigas A, Savala E, Elgert E, Slamovits TL, and Suhrland MJ. Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology of Orbital Masses, Acta Cytological 1996: 40(6): 1205.
52. Slamovits TL, Commentary: Isolated Incomplete Third Nerve Palsies in the Vasculopathic Age Group: To Angiogram or Not to Angiogram - That is the Question. Journal of Neuroophthalmology, 1995: 15: (3):.
51. Newman N, Slamovits TL, Friedland S, Wilson WB., Neuroophthalmic Manifestations of Meningocerebral inflammation from the Limited Form of Wegener’s Granulomatosis American Journal of Ophthalmology 1995: 120 (5): 613.
50. Ebner R, Slamovits TL, Friedland S, Pearlman JL, Fowler B,. Visual Loss Following Treatment of Sphenoid Sinus Carcinoma Survey of Ophthalmology 1995: 40 (1): 62.
49. Ksiazek S, Slamovits TL, Rosen C, Burde RM, Parisi F,: Fascicular Arrangement in Partial Oculomotor Paresis American Journal of Ophthalmology 1994: 118 (1): 97.
48. Matzkin DC, Slamovits TL, Rosenbaum PS, “Simultaneous Intraocular and Orbital Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome,” Ophthalmology 1994 101:850.
47. Strominger MB, Slamovits TL, Herskovits S, Lipton RB: Transient Worsening of Optic Neuropathy as a Sequela of the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction in the Treatment of Lyme Disease, Journal of Neuroophthalmology 1994 14 (2) 77.
46. Piltz JR, Wertenbaker C, Lance SE, Slamovits TL, Leeper HF, “Digoxin Toxicity - Recognizing the Varied Visual Presentation: Journal of Neuroophthalmology 1993 13 (4) 275.
45. Slamovits TL: Comments on Beck RW, et al “Fellow Eye Visual Deficits in Acute Unilateral Optic Neuritis: Experience of the Optic Neuritis Treatment Trial (ONTT), Ophthalmology 1993 100:691.
44. Slamovits TL, Burde RM, Matzkin DC, Sachs R: Author’s Reply to Clearkin LG, IV Steroids for Central Retinal Artery Occlusion in Giant-cell Arteritis, Ophthalmology 1992 99:1482.
43. Gass JDM, Slamovits TL, Fuller DG, Gieser RG, Lean JS, Posterior Chorioretinopathy and Retinal Detachment After Organ Transplantation, Archives of Ophthalmology 1992 110:1717.
42. Rosenbaum PS, Kress Y, Slamovits TL, Font RL: Phakomatous Choristoma of the Eyelid: Immunohistochemical and Electron Microscopic Observations, Ophthalmology 1992 99 1779.
41. Matzkin DC, Slamovits TL, Sachs R, Burde RM: Visual Recovery in Two Patients after Intravenous Methylprednisolone Treatment of Central Retinal Artery Occlusion Secondary to Giant Cell Arteritis, Ophthalmology 1992 99 (1):68.
40. Slamovits TL, Macklin R: “What to tell the Patient With Optic Neuritis About Multiple Sclerosis” Editorial - Survey of Ophthalmology 1991 36 (1) 47.
39. Slamovits TL, Rosen CE, Suhrland, MJ: Neuroblastoma Presenting as Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and Correctly Diagnosed After Orbital Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy, Journal of Clinical Neuro-ophthalmology 1991 11 (3):158.
38. Slamovits TL, Rosen CE, Cheng KP, Striph GG: Patients with Optic Neuritis and Visual Loss to No light Perception, American Journal of Ophthalmology 1991 111:209.
37. Capone TA, Slamovits TL: Discrete Metastasis of Solid Tumors to Extraocular Muscles, Archives of Ophthalmology 1990 108:237.
36. Slamovits TL, Gardner TA: (Letter to the Editor) Author’s Reply, regarding sagittal CT scans of orbit; Ophthalmology 1985 92 (5) 714.
35. Moorthy G, Behrens MM, Drachman DB, Kirkham TH, Knox DL, Miller NR, Slamovits TL, Zinreich SJ: Ocular Pseudomyasthenia or Ocular Myasthenia Plus A Warning to Clinicians, Neurology 1989 39:1150.
34. Slamovits TL, Kimball GP, Friberg TR, et al: Bilateral Optic Disc Colobomas with Orbital Cysts and Hypoplastic Optic Nerves and Chiasm, Journal of Clinical Neuroophthalmology 1989 9 (3):172.
33. Slamovits TL: Popping Eyes - Clinical Challenges, Survey of Ophthalmology 1989 (4):273.
32. Slamovits TL, Gardner TA: Neuroimaging in Neuroophthalmology Ophthalmology 1989 96 (4):555.
31. Slamovits TL: Advertising in Ophthalmology, Editorial; Survey of Ophthalmology 1988 33 3:211.
30. Turgeon PW, Slamovits TL: Scleritis as the Presenting Manifestation of Procainamide-induced Lupus, Ophthalmology 1989 33 3:211.
29. Slamovits TL, Burde RM, Bumpy Muscles - Clinical Challenges Survey of Ophthalmology 1988 33:189.
28. Pollack IF, Lunsford LD, Slamovits TL, et al: Sterotactic Intracavitary irradiation for Cystic Craniopharyngiomas Journal of Neurosurgery 1988 68:227.
27. Slamovits TL: The Pupil in Neuroophthalmology Abnormal Pupillary Reactions and Anisocoria, Seminars in Ophthalmology II, 1987 3:209.
26. Slamovits TL, Miller NR, Burde RM: Intracranial oculomotor nerve paresis with anisocoria and pupillary parasympathetic hypersensitivity American Journal of Ophthalmology 1987 104 64:401.
25. Wilson WB, Lloyd LA, Buncic JR, Younge BR, Grimson BS, Shults WT, Lubow M, Slamovits TL, Wirtschafter JD, Kupersmith M, Lessell S: Tumor Spread in Unilateral Glioma Neuroophthalmology 1987 4:179.
24. Slamovits TL, Comments re: Herishanu Y, Louzoun Z. Trihexphenidyl Treatment of Vertical Pendular Nystagmus Neurology 1986 36:82 Survey of Ophthalmology 1987 32:66.
23. Jacobson DM, Slamovits TL: Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate and Its Relationship to Hematocrit in Giant Cell Arteritis Archives of Ophthalmology 1987 105:965.
22. Slamovits TL, Burde RM, Miller NR, Gittinger Jr. JW, Keltner JL: Progressive Visual Loss with Normal Exam: A Conundrum Survey of Ophthalmology 1986 30:251.
21. Wall M, Slamovits TL, Weisberg L, Trufant S: Vertical Gaze Ophthalmoplegia from Infarction in the Area of the Posterior Thalamo-subthalamic Paramedian Artery. Stroke 1986 17 3:546.
20. Slamovits TL: (Letter to the Editor) re: Transorbital Intracavernous Needle Biopsy in Painful Ophthalmology by Rowed et al. Journal of Neurosurgery 1985 63: 996.
19. Kennerdell JS, Slamovits TL, Kekker A, Johnson BL: Orbital Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy American Journal of Ophthalmology 1985 99:547.
18. Slamovits TL: (Letter to the Editor), re: von Recklinghausen Neurofibromatosis: II, Incidence of Optic Gliomata Ophthalmology 1985 92:714.
17. Sibony PA, Kennerdell JS, Slamovits TL, Lessell S, Krauss HR: Intrapapillary Refractile Bodies in Optic Nerve Sheath Meningioma Archives of Ophthalmology 1985 103:383.
16. Dresner SC, Rothfus WE, Slamovits TL, Kennerdell JS, Curtin HV: Computed Tomography of Orbital Myositis American Journal of Neuro-radiology 1985 5:351.
15. Sibony PA, Krauss HR, Kennerdell JS, Maroon JC, Slamovits TL: Optic Nerve Sheath Meningiomas: Clinical Manifestations Ophthalmology 1984 91 11: 1313.
14. Albright LA, Sclabassi RJ, Slamovits TL: Spasmus Nutans Associated with Optic Gliomas in Infants Journal of Pediatrics 1984 105 5:778.
13. Striph GG, Slamovits TL, Burde RM: Visual Recovery Following Prolonged Amaurosis Due to Compressive Optic Neuropathy. Journal of Clinical Neuroophthalmology 1984 4: 189.
12. Slamovits TL: (Letter to the Editor), re: Orbital Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy in Patients with Cavernous Sinus Syndrome Journal of Neurosurgery 1984 61:619.
11. Rothfus WE, Curtin HD, Slamovits TL, Kennerdell JS: The Enlarged Optic Nerve/Sheath Enlargement: A Differential Approach Based on High Resolution CT Morphology. Radiology 1984 150:409.
10. Slamovits TL, Cahill KV, Sibony PA, Johnson BL, Dekker A: Orbital Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy in Patients with Cavernous Sinus Syndrome Journal of Neurosurgery 1983 59:1037.
9. Weinstein GS, Dresner SC, Slamovits TL, Kennerdell JS: Acute and Subacute Orbital Myositis American Journal of Ophthalmology 1983 96:209.
8. Krauss HR, Slamovits TL, Sibony PA, Verbalis JG, Nelson PB: Carotid Artery Aneurysm Simulating Pituitary Adenoma Journal of Clinical Neuroophthalmology 1982 2:169.
7. Krauss HR, Slamovits TL, Sibony PA, Dekker A, Kennerdell JS: Orbital metastasis of Bladder Carcinoma (letter). American Journal of Ophthalmology 1982 94:265.
6. Kapila A, Klingele TG, Slamovits TL, Burde RM, Ratcheson R, Gado MH: Quadrigeminal Plate Compression Caused by a Pulsion Diverticulum. Journal of Clinical Neuroophthalmology 1981 1: 135.
5. Slamovits TL, Klingele TG, Burde RM, Gado MH: Moya-moya Disease with Central Retinal Vein Occlusion. Case Report Journal of Clinical Neuroophthalmology 1981 1: 123.
4. Durkan GP. Troost T, Slamovits TL, Spoor TC, Kennerdell JS: Recurrent Painless Oculomotor Palsy in Children. A Variant of Ophthalmoplegic Migraine? Headache 1981 21(2): 58-62.
3. Slamovits TL, Burde RM: Foveomacular retinitis (letter-to- the- editor). Annals of Ophthalmology 12 (2): 544.
2. Slamovits TL, Burde RM, Klingele TG: Bilateral Optic Atrophy Caused by Chronic Oral Ingestion and Topical Application of Hexachlorophene. American Journal of Ophthalmology 1980 89 (5): 679.
1. Slamovits TL, Mondzelewski JP, Kennerdell JS: Thyroid Carcinoma Metastatic to the Globe. British Journal of Ophthalmology 1979 63 (3): 169.
18. Slamovits TL, Glaser JS, Mbekeani J: The Pupils and Accommodation in Duane’s Ophthalmology, (Tasmann W and Jaeger EA, eds), Volume 2, Chapter 15. Lippincott, Philadelphia, PA, 2013.
17. Slamovits TL, Glaser JS, Mbekeani J: The Pupils and Accommodation in Neuro-Ophthalmology, (Glaser JS, ed) 4th ed., JB Lippincott, Philadelphia, PA., 2002.
16. Slamovits TL, “Glycine” Experimental and Clinical Neurotoxicology 2nd Edition, Spencer PS, Schaumburg HS, Editors, pp. 612 – 613, Oxford University Press, New York, 2000.
15. Slamovits TL, Glaser JS: The Pupils and Accommodation in Neuro-Ophthalmology, (Glaser JS, ed) 3rd ed., JB Lippincott, Philadelphia, PA., 1999.
14. Slamovits, TL, “Physiology of the Optic Chiasm” in Walsh and Hoyt’s Neuro-ophthalmology (Miller NR and Newman NJ eds.) 5th ed. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, 1998.
13. Slamovits TL, Glaser JS: The Pupils and Accomodations in Clinical Ophthalmology, (Duane TD, ed) Volume 2, Chapter 15, Lippincott,Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 1998.
12. Feldon SE, Katz B, Savino PJ, Slamovits TL, CD-ROM LEO Clinical Update in Neuro-ophthalmology, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Ophthalmology Neurology Investigative, Boston, MA, 1997.
11. Matzkin DC, Slamovits TL, Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy of the Orbit, in Neuro-ophthalmological Disorders,Chapter 22, (Tusa RJ, Newman SA, eds), Dekker, Inc., New York 1995.
10. Schaffer MA, Slamovits TL, Burde RM: Traumatic Optic Neuropathy: Mechanisms and Treatment, Advances in Clinical Ophthalmology, Burde RM, Slamovits, TL, eds. vol. 1 pp 89-116 Mosby-Year Book, Inc., St. Louis, Mo, 1994.
9. Wray SH, Slamovits TL, Burde RM,: Disturbances of Vision and Ocular Movements, Chapter 19, Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 13th Edition, pp. 99-109, McGraw-Hill, Inc. New York, 1994.
8. Burde RM, Slamovits TL, (Editors-in-chief) Advances in Clinical Ophthalmology vol. 3, 1996 Mosby-Year Book, Inc., St. Louis, MO.
7. Burde RM, Slamovits TL, (Editors-in-chief) Advances in Clinical Ophthalmology vol. 2, 1995 Mosby-Year Book, Inc., St. Louis, MO.
6. Burde RM, Slamovits, TL: (Editors-in-chief) Advances in Clinical Ophthalmology, vol. 1, 1994; Mosby-Year Book, Inc. St. Louis, MO.
5. Slamovits TL, Burde RM,: Textbook of Ophthalmology, Neuroophthalmology, vol. 6 (Podos S, Yanoff M, editors) 1994 Mosby-Year Book Europe Ltd., London.
4. Wray, SH, Slamovits, TL, Burde, RM,: Disturbances of Vision and Ocular Movements, Chapter 19, Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 12th Edition pp.143-15, McGraw-Hill, Inc., Boston, Mass, 1990.
3. Slamovits TL, Glaser JS: The Pupils and Accommodation in Neuro-Ophthalmology, (Glaser JS, ed) 2nd ed., JB Lippincott, Philadelphia, PA., 1990.
2. Slamovits TL, Glaser JS: The Pupils and Accommodation in Clinical Ophthalmology, (Duane TD, ed) Volume 2, Chapter 15, J.B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, PA, 1988.
1. Slamovits TL, Book Review: Computerized Tomography in Orbital Disease and Neuroophthalmology by Peyster and Hoover Chicago, Year Book Medical Publishers, Inc. 1984 in American Journal of Ophthalmology 98:653, 1984.
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.
1250 Pelham Parkway South
Bronx, NY 10461