Alyson Moadel-Robblee, Ph.D. is Clinical Professor in the Department of Epidemiology & Population Health at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. She holds several roles including Director of the Psychosocial Oncology Program, founding Director of the Bronx Oncology Living Daily (BOLD) Program, and Co-Director of the Integrative Oncology Program of the Montefiore Einstein Center for Cancer Care (MECCC), Bronx NY. As a health psychologist, Dr. Moadel applies a career in research, teaching and counseling to her interest in the psychological, social and cultural factors associated with coping with cancer. She received her doctorate in Health Psychology from Yeshiva University in 1995, after which she received her postdoctoral training (1995-1997) at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in Psycho-Oncology. Since then, she has been involved in studying the efficacy of various behavioral and mind-body intervention methods to improve the quality of life of cancer patients.
In 2001, Dr. Moadel was awarded grants from the National Cancer Institute and Langeloth Foundation to initiate one of the first randomized controlled trials in the United States to examine the effects of yoga on quality of life in breast cancer patients. As a follow-up to this pilot work, the Langeloth Foundation awarded an additional 2-years of funding (January 2004-2006) to continue her yoga research in breast cancer, as well as to expand it to two new patient populations, namely lung and colorectal cancer patients. A description of the Yoga intervention protocol that was used in this study can be found below. In addition to her research in yoga, Dr. Moadel received a three-year grant from the American Cancer Society (July 2003-2006) to investigate the effects of a spiritual group intervention in comparison to a psycho-educational intervention on quality of life, spiritual well-being, and survival in advanced stage cancer patients. All of her studies are accessible to English and Spanish-speaking patients.
Based on an ongoing psychosocial needs assessment of over 1,500 cancer patients, Dr. Moadel-Robblee has focused her career on program development and evaluation efforts to meet the unmet needs of the underserved cancer patient population of the Bronx. In addition to directing a free counseling program delivered by bilingual mental health counseling student interns under her supervision, she has developed a diverse BOLD Wellness Workshop Program, offering over 12 workshops per month at various MECCC locations featuring interests endorsed by patients including crochet, Reiki, jewelry making, dance movement, scrapbooking, meditation/yoga, walking/nutrition groups, among many others, at no cost to participants.
To address factors that may contribute to cancer disparities, including isolation, cultural misconceptions, and medical mistrust, and treatment nonadherence, she has received funding from the Avon Foundation, Entertainment Industry Foundation, and Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure to develop and expand the BOLD Buddy Program, comprised of English- and Spanish-speaking cancer survivor volunteers who provide peer navigation and counseling to underserved, primarily African American and Latino, cancer patients. In 2015, BOLD Screening Buddies were developed and placed at the Montefiore breast imaging clinics to help encourage women lost to follow up who were recalled for further diagnostic screening to return, and in 2016, the BOLD Buddy Program included a new arm of BOLD Doulas who provide compassionate bedside support to breast cancer patients at end of life. As an outgrowth of this peer support program, the BOLD Brothers/Sisters Program is currently under development, with support from the Lewin Fund, to provide a peer mentorship program for Bronx teens and young adults affected by parental cancer.
Selected Publications - Updated August 2015:
- Hyman, R.B., Baker, S., Ephraim, R., Moadel, A., & Philip, J. Health belief model variables as predictors of screening mammography utilization. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 17(4):391-406, 1994.
- Ostroff, J.S., Jacobsen, P.B., Moadel, A., Spiro, R.H., Shah, J.P., Strong, E.W., Kraus, D.H., & Schantz, S.P. Prevalence and predictors of continued tobacco use after treatment of patients with head and neck cancer. Cancer, 75:569-576, 1995.
- Moadel, A.B., Ostroff, J.S., Lesko, L.M., & Bajorunas, D.R. Psychosexual adjustment among women receiving hormone replacement therapy for premature menopause following cancer treatment, Psycho-Oncology, 4:273-282,1995.
- Moadel, A.B., Lederberg, M.S., & Ostroff, J.S. Nicotine dependence and withdrawal in an oncology setting: A risk factor for psychiatric comorbidity and treatment nonadherence, Psycho-Oncology, 8 (3):264-267, 1999.
- Fleshner, N., Garland, J., Moadel, A., Herr, H., Ostroff, J., Trambert, R., O’Sullivan, M., & Russo, P. Influence of Smoking Status on the Disease-Related Outcomes of Patients with Tobacco-Associated Superficial Transitional Cell Carcinoma of the Bladder. Cancer, 86:2337-2345, 1999.
- Moadel, A., Morgan, C., Fatone, A., Grennan, J., Carter J., LaRuffa, G., Skummy, A., & Dutcher, J. Seeking meaning and hope. Self-reported spiritual and existential needs among an ethnically-diverse cancer patient population, Psycho-Oncology, 8 (5):378-385, 1999.
- Ostroff, J., Garland, J., Moadel, A., Fleshner, N., Hay, J., Zauber, A., Cramer, L., Tramber, R., O’Sullivan, M., & Russo, P. Cigarette smoking patterns after treatment of bladder cancer. Journal of Cancer Education, 15:86-90, 2000.
- Carter, J., Park, E., Moadel, A., Cleary, S. & Morgan, C. Cancer Knowledge, Attitudes, Beliefs and Practices (KABP) of Disadvantaged Women in South Bronx. Journal of Cancer Education, 17(3):142-149, 2002.
- Weissman, M., Paulus, Russak, S., Lubeck, Chiou, Sengupta, Ofman, Borenstein, Moadel, A., Sherbourne. Development of a new instrument for rheumatoid arthritis (RA): The Cedars-Sinai Health Related Quality of Life Instrument (CSHQ-RA). Arthritis Care and Research, 49(1):78-84, 2003.
- Russak S.M., Sherbourne C.D., Lubeck D.P., Paulus H.D., Chiou C.F., Sengupta N., Borenstein J., Ofman J.J., Moadel, A., and Weissman M. Validation of a Rheumatoid Arthritis Heath-Related Quality of Life Instrument, the CSHQ-RA. Arthritis Care and Research, 49(6):798-803, 2003.
- Moadel, A., Skamai, A., Carter, J., Carey, J., & Morgan, C. Cancer Education for Home Health Care Workers: A Process Evaluation. Journal of Cancer Education, 20(4):229-234, 2005.
- Hay, J., Ostroff, J., Burkhalter, J., Quiles, Z., Moadel, A. Changes in cancer-related risk perception and smoking across time in newly-diagnosed cancer patients. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 30(2): 131-142, 2007.
- Fatone, A., Moadel*, A.B., Foley, F.W., Fleming, M., Jandorf, L. Urban voices: The quality of life experience among women of color with breast cancer. Palliative and Supportive Care, 5(2):115-125, 2007.
- Moadel, A., Morgan, C., Dutcher, J. Psychosocial Needs Assessment among an Underserved, Ethnically Diverse Cancer Patient Population. Cancer, 109(2 Suppl):446-454, 2007.
- Wright, N., Soroudi, N., Wylie-Rosett, J., Lukoschek, P., Moadel, A. The School Yard Kids: A Puppet Show to Promote a Healthy Lifestyle. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 39(5):290-291, 2007.
- Moadel, A., Shah, C., Wylie-Rosett, J., Harris, M., Patel, S., Hall, C., Sparano, J. Randomized Controlled Trial of Yoga among a Multiethnic Sample of Breast Cancer Patients: Effects on Quality of Life. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 25(28): 4387–4395, 2007.
- Moody, K., Mannix M.M., Furnari, N., Fishcher, J., Kim, M.Y., Moadel, A. Psychosocial Needs of Ethnic Minority, Inner-City, Pediatric Cancer Patients. Supportive Care in Cancer, 19(9): 1403-1410, 2011.
- Roth, M., Marrone, K., Moody, K., Kim, M., Wang, D., Moadel, A., Levy, A. Career Burnout among Pediatric Oncologists. Pediatric Blood and Cancer 57(7), 1168-73, 2011.
- Bernstein, S.L., Bijur, P., Cooperman, N., Jearld, S., Arnsten, J., Moadel, A.B., Gallagher, E. A Randomized Trial of a Multicomponent Cessation Strategy for Emergency Department Smokers. Academic Emergency Medicine, 18(6):575-83, 2011.
- Shuter J, Salmo LN, Shuter AD, Nivasch EC, Fazzari M, Moadel AB. Provider beliefs and practices relating to tobacco use in patients living with HIV/AIDS: a national survey. AIDS Behav. 2012 Feb;16(2):288-94. doi: 10.1007/s10461-011-9891-4. PubMed PMID: 21301950; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3275677.
- Bernstein SL, Bijur, PE, Cooperman, N, Jearld, S, Arnsten, JH, Moadel, AB, Gallagher, JE. Efficacy of an ED-based multicomponent intervention for smokers with substance use disorders. J Substance Abuse Treatment, 2013 Jan;44(1):139-42. doi: 10.1016/j.jsat.2012.05.005. Epub 2012 Jul 2. PubMed PMID: 22763199; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3465634.
- Shuter J, Bernstein SL, Moadel AB. Cigarette Smoking Behaviors and Beliefs in Persons Living with HIV/AIDS. Am J Health Behav, 36(1):75-85, 2012. PubMed PMID: 22251785.
- Weiss, T., Weinberger, M.I., Holland, J., Nelson, C., & Moadel, A. Falling Through the Cracks: A Review of Psychological Distress and Psychosocial Service Needs In Older African American and Hispanic Patients with Cancer. J Geriatric Onc, 2012, 3(2): 163-173.
- Moadel AB, Bernstein SL, Mermelstein RJ, Arnsten JH, Dolce EH, Shuter J. A randomized controlled trial of a tailored group smoking cessation intervention for HIV-infected smokers. JAIDS, 61(2): 208-215; 2012.
- Bernstein SL, Cooperman N, Jearld S, Moadel A, Bijur P, Gallagher EJ. Predictors of in-person follow-up among subjects in an ED-based smoking cessation trial. Am J Emerg Med. 2012 Nov;30(9):2067-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2012.06.011. Epub 2012 Sep 20. PubMed PMID: 23000321; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3777735.
- Stein, E., Kolidas, E., Moadel, A. Do spiritual patients want spiritual interventions?: A qualitative exploration of underserved cancer patients. Pall & Supp Care, 2015 Feb;13(1):19-25. doi: 10.1017/S1478951513000217. Epub 2013 Aug 6. PubMed PMID:23916058.
- Hirji, I., Gupta, S., Goren, A., Chirovsky, D.R., Moadel, A.B., Olavarria, E., Victor, T.W. Davis, C.C. Chronic myeloid leukemia (CML): Association of treatment satisfaction, negative medication experience and treatment restrictions with health outcomes, from the patient’s perspective. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. 2013 Oct 8;11:167. doi: 10.1186/1477-7525-11-167. PubMed PMID: 24099272; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3851879.
- Nevadunsky, N, Van Arsdale, A, Strickler, H, Moadel, A, Kaur, G, Frimer, M, Conroy, E, Goldberg, GL, Einstein, M. Metformin use and endometrial cancer survival. Gynecologic Oncology, 2014, Jan;132(1):236-40. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2013.10.026. Epub 2013 Nov 2. PubMed PMID: 24189334; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3904540
- Nevadunsky, N., Van Arsdale, A., Strickler, H., Moadel, A., Kaur, G., Levitt, J., Girda, E., Goldfinger, M., Goldberg, G., Einstein. M., Obesity and Age at Diagnosis of Endometrial Cancer. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2014 Aug;124(2 Pt 1):300-6. doi:10.1097/AOG.0000000000000381. PubMed PMID: 25004350.
- Shuter, J., Moadel, A.B., Kim, R., Weinberger, A.H., and Stanton, C.A. Self-efficacy to quit in HIV-infected smokers. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 16(11), 1527-1531, 2014 Aug 23. PubMed PMID: 25151662; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4271091.
- Charlson ME., Loizzo J., Moadel A., Neale M., Newman C., Olivo E., Wolf E., Peterson, J. Contemplative Self Healing in Women Breast Cancer Survivors: A pilot study in underserved minority women shows improvement in quality of life and reduced stress. BMC Contemplative and Alternative Medicine, 2014 Sep 23;14:349. doi:10.1186/1472-6882-14-349. PubMed PMID: 25249005; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4190303.
- Conlon, B., Kahan, M., Martinez, M., Isaac, K., Rossi, A., Skyhart, R., Wylie-Rosett, J., and Moadel, A. Development and Evaluation of the Curriculum for BOLD (Bronx Oncology Living Daily) Healthy Living: A Diabetes Prevention and Control Program for Underserved Cancer Survivors. Journal of Cancer Education, 2014 Nov 15. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 25394834.
- Stanton, C.A., Moadel, A.B., Kim, R., Weinberger, A.H., Shuter, J. Loneliness in HIV-infected Smokers. AIDS Care, 2015;27(2):268-72. doi:10.1080/09540121.2014.963017. Epub 2014 Oct 8. PubMed PMID: 25298196; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4286503.
- Rossi, A., Moadel-Robblee, A., Garber, C.E., Kuo, D., Goldberg, G., Einstein, M., Nevadunsky, N. Physical Activity for an Ethnically Diverse Sample of Endometrial Cancer Survivors: A Needs Assessment and Pilot Intervention. Journal of Gynecology Oncology. 26(2): 141-147, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.3802/jgo.2015.26.2.141
- Van Arsdale, A, Einstein, M, Kaur, G, Strickler, H, Moadel, A, Goldberg, G, Nevadunsky, N. Association between Statin Use and Endometrial Cancer Survival. Obstetrics & Gynecology (In Press).
B. Books, Chapters, Invited Articles
- Lesko, L.M., & Moadel, A.B. Psychosocial Factors. In F.L. Johnson & E.L. O'Donnell (Eds.), The Candlelighters Guide to Bone Marrow Transplants in Children. Bethesda, MD: The Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation. pp. 90-97, 1994.
- Moadel, A.B., Ostroff, J.S., & Lesko, L.M. Fertility and Sexuality Issues. In M. Whedon & D. Wujcik(Eds.), Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplantation: Principles, Practice and Nursing Insights (2nd edition). Boston: Jones and Bartlett. pp. 377-399, 1997.
- Moadel, A.B., & Ostroff, J.S. Site-specific psychological issues: Head and neck cancer. In J.C. Holland (Ed.), Handbook of Psycho-Oncology: Psychological Care of the Patient with Cancer. New York: Oxford University Press. 314-323, 1998.
- Moadel, A.B., Lederberg, M.S., & Ostroff, J.S. Nicotine dependence and withdrawal in an oncologysetting: A risk factor for psychiatric comorbidity and treatment nonadherence. Review Series Psychiatry, 3/00:2-4, 2000.\Moadel, A. Harris, M. Cancer. In B.A. Boyer & I. Paharia (Eds.), Comprehensive Handbook of Clinical Health Psychology. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2007.
- Moadel, A.B. Sexuality and Cancer. In J.G. Golson & G.A. Colditz (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Cancer and Society. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2007.
- Harris, M., & Moadel, A.B. Psychosocial Issues. In J.G. Golson & G.A. Colditz (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Cancer and Society. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2007.
- Moadel, A.B, Hall, C.B. “Author’s Reply” to Commentary on Moadel et al, Randomized Controlled Trial of Yoga among a Multiethnic Sample of Breast Cancer Patients: Effects on Quality of Life. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 25(28): 4387–4395, 2007. Journal FACT (Focus on Alternative and Complementary Therapies). March, 2008.
- Moadel, A.B., Harris, M. Kolidas, E. Santizo, R., Harris, K., Paul, D. Psycho-educational and spiritual interventions for low income cancer patients: Results of Randomized and Patient Preference Trials. In Cancer Disparities: Causes and Evidence-based Solutions (R. Elk & H. Landrine Eds.). New York: Springer, pp. 433-454, 2012.
- Moadel, A.B. Review of the book MD Anderson Manual of Psychosocial Oncology, by J.D. Duffy & A.D. Valentine (Eds.). Psycho-oncology (2012; In press), DOI: 10.1002/pon.3152.
- Keitel, M., Lamm, A., Moadel, A. Strengthening families facing breast cancer: Emerging trends and clinical recommendations. In J. G. Grzywacz & G. Welch (Eds.) Living with a Chronic Health Condition: Helping Families Survive and Thrive, New York: Springer (2015, in press).