Assistant Professor, Department of Urology
EDUCATION AND FELLOWSHIPS
Graduated from New York University School of Medicine.
Completed general surgery internship, urology residency and chief residency at Mount Sinai Hospital.
Completed two year clinical and research fellowship in sexual medicine and male infertility at Memorial-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and Weill-Cornell Medical College.
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTEREST
Anejaculation, Delayed Ejaculation, Premature Ejaculation, Retrograde Ejaculation, BPH
Erectile Dysfunction, Low Testosterone, Peyronies Disease, Male Infertility
Microsurgery, Hypogonadism, Penile and scrotal Doppler ultrasonography
American Urological Association
Sexual Medicine Society of North America
International Society for Sexual Medicine
American Society for Reproductive Medicine
TREATMENTS AND PROCEDURES
Vasectomy (both in-office and under anesthesia)
Penile duplex Doppler ultrasonagraphy for penile hemodynamics evaluation
Penile biothesiometry for sensory testing
Microdissection testicular sperm extraction (microTESE) for IVF/ICSI
Microsurgical varicocele repair
Testosterone replacement therapy
Intra-lesional verapamil for Peyronie's disease
Penile rehabilitation and general ED management
Penile prosthesis implantation
Intracavernosal injection therapy
Hydrocele repair (both office aspiration and under anesthesia)
2010 – Sexual Medicine Society of North America (SMSNA) “Scholars in Sexuality Research” Grant Award
2009 – Society of Urological Prosthetic Surgeons/Sexual Medicine Society of North America Symposium Educational Travel Grant
2002 - New York University School of Medicine Clerkship Award for Outstanding Essay in Medical Science
Mulhall JP, Stahl PJ, Stember DS. Clinical Care Pathways in Andrology. Springer 2013 (in press).
1. Weiss JP, Stember DS, Chaikin DC, Blaivas JG. Nocturia in adults: Classification and etiology. NEUROUROLOGY AND URODYNAMICS 17(5):467-472, 1998.
2. Ameda K, Steele GS, Sullivan MP, Stember DS, Yalla SV. Detrusor contraction duration as a urodynamic parameter of bladder outlet obstruction for evaluating men with lower urinary tract symptoms. THE JOURNAL OF UROLOGY 160(2):482-486, 1998.
3. Weiss JP, Stember DS, Chaikin DC, Blaivas JG. Evaluation of the etiology of nocturia in men: The nocturia and nocturnal bladder capacity indices. NEUROUROLOGY AND URODYNAMICS 18(6):559-565, 1999.
4. Stember DS, Scarpero HS, Nitti VH. Vaginal granulation tissue secondary to bone anchors: Experience in two patients. THE JOURNAL OF UROLOGY, 169(6):2300-2301, 2003.
5. Blaivas JG, Weiss JP, Desai JP, Flisser AJ, Stember DS, Stahl PJ. Long-term followup of augmentation enterocystoplasty and continent diversion in patients with benign disease. THE JOURNAL OF UROLOGY, 173(5):1631-1634, 2005.
6. Stember DS, Weiss JP, Blaivas JG. Nocturia in men. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CLINICAL PRACTICE, 155:17-22, 2007.
7. Stember DS, Mulhall JP. Ischemic priapism and implant surgery with sharp corporal ﬁbrosis excision. JOURNAL OF SEXUAL MEDICINE 7:1987–1990, 2010.
8. Stahl PJ, Stember DS, Hsiao W, Schlegel PN. Indications and strategies for fertility preservation in men. CLINICAL OBSTETRICS & GYNECOLOGY 53(4), 815-827, 2010.
9. Katz BF, Stember DS, Nagler HM. Sexual medicine disparities between Asia and North America: commentary on male sexual dysfunction in Asia. ASIAN JOURNAL OF ANDROLOGY 4:605-606, 2011.
10. Stahl PJ, Stember DS, Schlegel PN. Interpretation of the semen analysis and initial male factor management. CLINICAL OBSTETRICS & GYNECOLOGY 54(4), 656-665, 2011.
11. Stahl PJ, Stember DS, Goldstein M. Contemporary management of male infertility. ANNUAL REVIEW IN MEDICINE 63:524-540, 2011.
12. Stahl PJ, Stember DS, Mulhall JP. Options for fertility preservation in men and boys with cancer. ADVANCES IN EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY 732:29-39, 2012.
13. Stember DS, Mulhall JP. The concept of erectile function preservation (penile rehabilitation) in the patient after radiation therapy for for prostate cancer. BRACHYTHERAPY 11(2):87-96, 2012.
14. Stahl PJ, Stember DS. Fertility preservation in male cancer patients. AMERICAN UROLOGICAL ASSOCIATION UPDATE SERIES Lesson 14, Volume 31, 2012.
15. Katz DF, Stember DS (co-first authors), Nelson CJ, Mulhall JP. Peri-operative prevention of penile prosthesis infection: Practice patterns among surgeons of SMSNA and ISSM. JOURNAL OF SEXUAL MEDICINE 9(6):1705-14,2012.
16. Barazani Y, Stahl PJ, Nagler HM, Stember DS. Diagnosis and management of ejaculatory disorders in infertile men. ASIAN JOURNAL OF ANDROLOGY 14(4):525-9, 2012.
17. Stember DS, Nagler HM. Update on vasectomy protocol. CURRENT UROLOGY REPORTS 13(6):467-73, 2012.
18. Bernie AM, Ramasamy R, Stember DS, Stahl PJ. Microsurgical epididymal sperm aspiration: Indications, technique and outcomes. ASIAN JOURNAL OF ANDROLOGY 15(1):40-3, 2012.
19. Mehta A, Stember DS, O'Brien K, Mulhall JP. Defining the aetiology of erectile dysfunction in men with chronic pelvic pain syndrome. ANDROLOGY 2013 doi: 10.1111/j.2047-2927.2013.00066.x. [Epub ahead of print].
20. Sullivan JF, Stember DS, Deveci S, Akin-Olugbade Y, Mulhall JP. Ejaculation profiles of men following radiation therapy for prostate cancer. JOURNAL OF SEXUAL MEDICINE 2013 doi: 10.1111/jsm.12101. [Epub ahead of print].
21. Stember DS, Nelson CJ, Mulhall JP. Preoperative erectile function is an independent predictor for decision to spare cavernous nerves during radical prostatectomy. JOURNAL OF SEXUAL MEDICINE (in press).
22. Gaunay G, Katz BF, Stember DS. Scrotal angiomyxoma in a patient presenting with subfertility. CLINICAL RADIOLOGY (submitted).
23. Barazani Y, Stahl PJ, Nagler HM, Stember DS. Rationale for penile rehabilitation following radical prostatectomy. CURRENT UROLOGY REPORTS (submitted).
24. Matsushita K, Stember DS, Flores S, Nelson CJ, Mulhall JP. Concordance between patient and physician assessment of the magnitude of Peyronie’s disease curvature. JOURNAL OF SEXUAL MEDICINE (submitted).
1. Stember DS, Grafstein N. Urologic Manifestations of Myasthenia Gravis. In Gomella L (ed), THE 5-MINUTE UROLOGY CONSULT, Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, 2010.
2. Stember DS, Grafstein N. Nocturia. The 5-Minute Urology Consult; Second Edition. In Gomella L (ed), THE 5-MINUTE UROLOGY CONSULT, Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, 2010.
3. Stember DS, Schlegel PN. Microdissection Testicular Sperm Extraction. In Parekattil S and Agarwal A (eds), MALE INFERTILITY: CONTEMPORARY CLINICAL APPROACHES, ANDROLOGY, ART AND ANTIOXIDANTS, Humana Press, New York (in press).
4. Stahl PJ, Stember DS, Mulhall JP. Options for Fertility Preservation in Men and Boys with Cancer. In Quinn GP and Vadaparampil ST (eds), REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH AND CANCER IN YOUNG ADULTS. Springer Publishing Company, New York (in press).
5. Stember DS, Mulhall JP. Effect of Pelvic Surgery on Ejaculatory Function. In Mulhall JP, Applegarth LD, Oates RD, and Schlegel PN (eds), FERTILITY PRESERVATION IN MEN WITH CANCER. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (in press).
1. Stember DS, Disick GI, Hassen WA. Laparoscopic simple retropubic prostatectomy: Technique and preliminary series. EUROPEAN UROLOGY VIDEO JOURNAL, DVD 14.2, July 2008.
2. Stember DS. Evaluation and Management of Erectile Dysfunction. Continuum Health Partners Continuing Medical Education (CME) educational video (http://chp.broadcastmed.net/courses/evaluation-and-management-of-erectile-dysfunction), December 2012.
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.
Beth Israel Medical Center
Phillips Ambulatory Care Center
10 Union Square East
New York, NY 10003