Dr. Yassari earned his medical degree from the Vienna School of Medicine in Austria and a Master of Science in Experimental Pathology from the University of Chicago. He completed his residency in Neurosurgery at the University of Chicago Medical Center and was a fellow at the MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics. Subsequently he was an instructor at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Spinal Oncology and Reconstructive and Complex Spine with the Dept. of Neurosurgery. Dr. Yassari specializes in the treatment of complex degenerative, traumatic and neoplastic spine diseases, including intrinsic extradural, intradural and intramedullary spinal cord tumors as well as metastatic spine tumors. Dr. Yassari will focus on developing the spinal oncology program in collaboration with the Montefiore Einstein Center for Cancer Care and the Department of Radiation Oncology. He combines his training in minimally invasive surgery and spinal oncology with the exisiting infrastructure for advanced intraoperative image guidance technology at Montefiore Medical Center to offer innovative, cutting-edge surgical treatment options to patients with all aspects of spine pathologies, in particular metastatic spine disease.
- Clarke MJ, Hsu W, Suk I, McCarthy E, Black JH 3rd, Sciubba DM, Bydon A, Yassari R, Witham TF, Gokaslan ZL, Wolinsky JP. Three-Level En Bloc Spondylectomy for Chordoma. Neurosurgery. 2011 Feb 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bydon A, Rinsheng X, J Conte, Gokaslan Z, Witham T, Yassari R. Surgical Mystery: Where is the Rongeur Tip? Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010 Aug 1;35(17):E867-72.
- Jahromi BS, Aihara Y, Ai J, Zhang ZD, Weyer G, Nikitina E, Yassari R, Houamed KM, Macdonald RL. Temporal profile of K+ channel dysfunctionin cerebrovascularsmooth muscle after experimental subarachnoid hemorrhage. (2008). Neurosci Lett. 2008 Jul 25;440(1):81-6. Epub 2008 May 10.
- Aihara Y, Jahromi BS, Yassari R, Takahashi M, Macdonald RL. Induction of housekeeping gene expression after subarachnoid hemorrhage in dogs (2208). J Neurosci Methods. 2008 Jul 15;172(1):1-7. Epub 2008 Apr 10.
- Yassari R. Miracle Surgery for Foreign Patients (2008). Virtual Mentor, American Medical Association Journal of Ethics April 2008, Vol 10, Num 4: 206-210
- Jahromi BS, Aihara Y, Aij, Zhang ZD, Weyer G, Nikitina E, Yassari R, Houamed KM, Macdonald RL (2008). Preserved BK Channel Function in Vasospastic Myocytes from the Dog Model of Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. J Vasc Res 2008 Apr 10;45(5):402-415
- Musleh W, Yassari R, Frim DM (2006). Low Incidence of Subdural Grid-Related Complications in Prolonged Pediatric EEG Monitoring. Pediatric Neurosurgery 2006;42(5):284-7
- Fagan L, Fergusson S, Yassari R, Frim DM (2006). The Chiari pseudotumor cerebri syndrome: symptom recurrence after decompressive surgery for Chiari malformation type I. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2006;42(1):14-9
- Calleja R, Yassari R, Wilkinson EP, Webb R (2004). Bladder Outflow Obstruction caused by prostatic calculi. ScientificWorldJournal. Jun 07;4 Suppl 1:46-7
- Yassari R, Frim DM (2004). Evaluation and Management of the Chiari Malformation Type 1 for the Primary Care Pediatrician. Pediatr Clin North Am. Apr;51(2):477-90
- Yassari R, Sayama T, Jahromi BS, Stooley M, Macdonald RL (2004). Angiographic, hemodynamic and histological characterization of an arteriovenous fistula in rats. Acta Neurochir (Wien). May;146(5):495-504
- R. Loch Macdonald RL, Curry D, Aihara Y, Zhang Z, Jahromi BS, Yassari R (2004). Magnesium and experimental vasospasm J Neurosurg. Jan;100(1):106-10
- Aihara Y, Jahromi BS, Yassari R, Nikitina E, Agbaje-Williams M, Macdonald RL (2004). Molecular profile of vascular smooth muscle ion channels following experimental cerebral vasospasm. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab Jan; 24(1): 75-83.
- Aihara Y, Jahromi BS, Yassari R, Sayama T, Macdonald RL (2003). Effect of nitric oxide donor on and correlation of changes in cyclic nucleotide levels with experimental vasospasm. Neurosurgery 52(3):661-7.
- Khodarev N, Yu J, Nodzenski E, Darga T, Brown CK, Mauceri HJ, Yassari R, Gupta N, Weichselbaum RR (2003). Tumour-endothelial interactions in co-culture: coordinated changes of gene expression profiles and phenotypic properties of endothelial cells. J Cell Sci Mar 15;116(Pt 6):1013-1022.
- Yassari R, Jahromi BS, Macdonald RL (2002). Dural arteriovenous fistula after craniotomy for pilocytic astrocytoma in a patient with protein S deficiency. Surg. Neurol. 58(1):59-64; discussion 64.
- Dasenbrock HH, Yassari R, Witham T. Neurogenic Claudication: Operative Treatment (Decompression and Fusion). In: Evidence-Based Orthopaedics, BMJ (in print)
- Yassari R, Carson B, Rigamonti D. Neurologic Complication of the Spine in Achondroplasia. In: Operative Neurosurgical Techniques. Ed 6, Schmidek & Sweet. Elsevier Saunders Publishers (in print)
- Yassari R, Wolinsky JP. Atlanto-axial Instability and Stabilization In: Operative Neurosurgical Techniques. Ed 6, Schmidek & Sweet. Elsevier Saunders Publishers (in print)
- Yassari R, Bydon A. Thoracolumbar Trauma. In: Handbook of Neurosurgery. Ed.: Rigamonti D. Johns Hopkins University Press (in print)
- Jahromi BS, Aihara Y, Agbaje-Williams M, Nikitina E, Weyer G, Ryan D, Yassari R, Macdonald RL. Potassium channels in experimental cerebral vasospasm. In: Cerebral Vasospasm. Proc. of the 8th Int. Conference. ed. Macdonald RL. New York, Thieme Medical Publishers.
- Aihara Y, Jahromi BS, Yassari R, Nikitina E, Agbaje-Williams M, Macdonald RL. Changes in vascular ion channels after subarachnoid hemorrhage. In: Cerebral Vasospasm. Proc. of the 8th Int. Conference. ed. Macdonald RL. New York, Thieme Medical Publishers.
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.