Gregoire Lauvau, Ph.D.
Immune effector cell differentiation & protective host responses against microbial pathogens in vivo
Microbial pathogens invasion usually triggers potent host immune responses, however efficient protection and pathogen killing require the presence of effector cells and combinations of inflammatory signals that are ill-defined in most infections.
Our work therefore focuses on precisely defining these events in vivo. Specifically, we investigate (i) the inflammatory signals and related pathways, and innate immune cells that regulate T cell differentiation, and (ii) the cross-talks between memory T cells and innate immune cells during recall infections. Innate immune cells include monocytes, macrophages, dendritic cells and lymphocytes. We also use various models of acute infections in mice, namely the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes, Streptococcus pneumoniae, the viruses Vesicular Stomatitis virus and Murine Cytomegalovirus and the parasites Plasmodium yoelii and Toxoplasma gondii. We take advantage of a range of advanced fluorescent-tracer based methodologies to monitor immune cells in situ. We use cell transfer experiments and novel genetically modified mice models in which dynamic cell functions can be monitored and/or in which functional subsets of immune cells can be selectively eliminated.
Overall, the goal of my laboratory is to improve our fine understanding of the factors that orchestrate antimicrobial host protective immune responses in vivo. We believe that our work will contribute to better immune cell-mediated preventive and therapeutic vaccination strategies.
- Lauvau, G.*, S. Vijh*, P. Kong, T. Horng, K. Kerksiek, N. Serbina, R.A. Tuma, and E.G. Pamer. 2001. Priming of memory but not effector CD8 T cells by a killed bacterial vaccine. Science, 294:1735-1739.
- Muraille, E., R. Giannino, P. Guirnalda, I. Leiner, S. Jung, E. G. Pamer and G. Lauvau. 2005. Distinct in vivo dendritic cell activation by live versus killed Listeria monocytogenes. Eur J Immunol. 35:1-9.
- Muraille, E.*, E. Narni-Mancinelli*, P. Gounon*, D. Bassand, N. Glaichenhaus, L. L. Lenz, and G. Lauvau. 2007. Cytosolic Expression of SecA2 is a Prerequisite for Long-Term Protective Immunity. Cell Microbiol, 9, 1445-1454.
- Narni-Mancinelli E., L. Campisi, D. Bassand, J. Cazareth, P. Gounon, N. Glaichenhausand G. Lauvau. 2007. Memory CD8+ T cells mediate antibacterial immunity via CCL3 activation of TNF/ROI+ phagocytes. J Exp Med, 204: 2075-2087.
- Auffray, C., D. K. Fogg, Meriem Garfa, G. Elain, O. Join-Lambert, S. Kayal, S. Sarnacki, A. Cumano, G. Lauvau and F. Geissmann.2007. Patrolling blood monocytes that monitor blood vessels and tissues for damage and infection. Science, 317, 666-70.
- Geissmann F., C. Auffray, R. Palframan, C. Wirrig, A. Ciocca, L. Campisi, E. Narni-Mancinelli, and G. Lauvau. 2008.Blood monocytes: distinct subsets, how they relate to dendritic cells, and their possible roles in the regulation of T cell responses. Immunology and Cell Biology. 86:398-408.
- Auffray C*, D. K. Fogg*, E. Narni-Mancinelli*, B. Senechal, C. Touillet, N. Saederup, J. Leemput, K. Bigot, L. Campisi, M. Abitbol, T. Molina 1, I. Charo, D. A. Hume, A. Cumano, G. Lauvau and F. Geissmann. 2009. CX3CR1+ CD115+ CD135+ common macrophage /DC precursor (MDP) and the role of CX3CR1 in their response to inflammation. J Exp Med, 206:595-606.
- Zavialov A.V., E. Gracia, N. Glaichenhaus, N., R. Franco, A.V. Zavialovand G. Lauvau. 2010. Human adenosine deaminase 2 induces differentiation of monocytes into macrophages and stimulates proliferation of T helper cells and macrophages. J Leuk Biol. 88:279-90.
- Bougneres L., B. Chang, L. Chan, L. Campisi, G. Lauvau, S. Hugues, W. Faigle, D. Loew, B. Lombard, C.L. Trubert, J. MacMicking, S.Amigorena and P. Guermonprez. 2009. Lipid bodies control cross presentation of exogenous antigens by MHC class I in dendritic cells. Immunity, 31: 232-244.
- Bajénoff M., Narni-Mancinelli E., Brau F., and G. Lauvau. 2010. Visualizing early splenic memory CD8+ T cells reactivation against intracellular bacteria. PLoS One. 5:11524.
- Rahmoun, M., Marilyn Gros, Laura Campisi, , Delphine Bassand, Anne Lazzari, Christophe Massiera, Emilie Narni-Mancinelli, Pierre Gounon, and G. Lauvau. 2011.Priming of protective anti-Listeria memory CD8+ T cell requires a functional SecA2-secretion system. Infection and Immunity, 79:2396-403.
- Campisi L., S. SoudjaM’Homa, N. Cagnard, J. Cazareth, D. Bassand, A. Lazzari, E. Narni-Mancinelli, F. Brau, N. Glaichenhaus, F. Geissmann and G. Lauvau. 2011. Splenic CD8a+ Dendritic Cells Undergo Rapid Programming by Cytosolic Bacteria and Inflammation to Induce Protective CD8 Memory. Eur J Immunol, 41(6):1594-605.
- Narni-Mancinelli E., Soudja M’Homa S., Crozat K., Dalod M., Gounon P., Geissmann F. and G. Lauvau. 2011. Inflammatory Monocytes and Neutrophils Are Licensed to Kill During Memory Responses In Vivo. PLoS Pathogens, Vol 7(12):e1002457.
- SoudjaM’Homa S., Ruiz A. L., Marie J. C., and G. Lauvau.2012. Inflammatory monocytes switch on memory CD8+ T and innate NK lymphocytes during microbial pathogens invasion. Immunity, in press.
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.