Paraic A. Kenny, Ph.D.
My laboratory is focused on understanding the key signaling defects that drive the main subtypes of human breast cancer and understanding the contribution of the microenvironment to breast cancer initiation and progression. Major projects include the study of the contribution of the growth factor, Amphiregulin, and the transcription factor, GATA3, to mammary gland development, as well as breast cancer initiation and progression. We are also actively engaged in the identification and validation of novel therapeutic targets in triple-negative breast cancer, with a strong focus on the role of GRB7 in this disease.
For an up-to-date list of publications, please visit my lab's website.
- Peterson EA, Pectasides E, Shabbeer S, Wiechmann L, Sparano JA & *Kenny PA. (2013) Evaluation of serum Amphiregulin levels in breast cancer patients and cancer-free controls. Experimental Hematology & Oncology 2(1):25.
- Giricz O, Calvo V, Peterson EA, Abouzeid CM and *Kenny PA (2013) TACE-dependent TGF-alpha shedding drives triple-negative breast cancer cell invasion. International Journal of Cancer 133(11):2587-95.
- Calvo V and *Kenny PA. (2013) Visualizing movement in the tumor microenvironment landscape. Breast Cancer Research 15(1):301.
- Zhou ZN, Sharma VP, Beaty, BP, Roh-Johnson M, Peterson EA, Van Rooijen N, Kenny PA, Wiley HS, Condeelis JS and Segall JE (2013) Autocrine HBEGF expression promotes breast cancer intravasation, metastasis and macrophage-independent invasion in vivo. Oncogene (in press).
- Miwa HE, Koba WR, Fine EJ, Giricz O, Kenny PA & Stanley P (2013) Bisected, complex N-glycans and galectins in mouse mammary tumor progression and human breast cancer. Glycobiology 23(12):1477-90.
- Curry MC, Peters AA, Kenny PA, Roberts-Thomson SJ and Monteith GR (2013) Mitochondrial calcium uniporter silencing potentiates caspase-independent cell death in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 434(3):695-700.
- Bhagat TD, Zhou L, Sokol L, Caceres G, Gundabolu K, Gordon S, Mantzaris I, Gligich O, Yu Y, Bhattacharyya S, Jing X, Polineni R, Tamari R, Bhatia K, Pellagatti A, Boultwood J, Kambhampati K, Steidl U, Stein C, Ju W, Liu G, Kenny PA, List A, Bitzer M and Verma A. (2013) miR-21 mediates hematopoietic suppression in MDS by activating TGF-b signaling. Blood 121(15):2875-81.
- Sparano JA, Ostrer H and Kenny PA (2013) Translating genomic research into clinical practice: Promises and pitfalls. ASCO Educational Book 15-23.
- Levano KS and *Kenny PA (2012) Clarification of the C-terminal proteolytic processing site of human Amphiregulin. FEBS Letters 586(19):3500-2.
- Patsialou A, Wang Y, Lin J, Whitney K, Goswami S, Kenny PA and Condeelis JS (2012) Selective gene expression profiling of migratory tumor cells in vivo predicts clinical outcome in breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Research 14(5):R139
- Peterson EA, Shabbeer S and *Kenny PA (2012) Normal range of serum Amphiregulin in healthy adult human females. Clinical Biochemistry 45(6):460-3.
- Giricz O, Reynolds PA, Ramnauth A, Liu C, Wang T, Stead L, Childs G, Shapiro N, Fineberg S, *Kenny PA and *Loudig O (2012). Hsa-miR-375 Is Differentially Expressed During Breast Lobular Neoplasia And Promotes Loss Of Mammary Acinar Polarity. Journal of Pathology 226:108-119.
- Giricz O, Calvo V, Pero SC, Krag DN, Sparano JA and *Kenny PA. (2012) GRB7 is required for triple-negative breast cancer cell invasion and survival. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 133(2):607-15.
- Peters AA, Simpson PT, Bassett JJ, Lee JM, Da Silva L, Reid LE, Song S, Parat MO, Lakhani SR, Kenny PA, Roberts-Thomson SJ and Monteith GR (2012) Calcium channel TRPV6 as a potential therapeutic target in estrogen receptor negative breast cancer. Mol Cancer Therapeutics (10):2158-68.
- Curry MC, Luk NA, Kenny PA, Roberts-Thomson SJ and Monteith GR. (2012) Distinct regulation of cytoplasmic calcium signals and cell death pathways by different plasma membrane calcium ATPase isoforms in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells. J Biol Chem 287(34):28598-28608.
- Falconer C, Kenny PA, Smart CE, Monteith GR, Roberts-Thomson S (2012) Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor subtypes in mammary gland development and breast cancer. J Cancer Therapeutics & Research (1):14.
- Levano KS, Jung EH and *Kenny PA (2011) Breast cancer subtypes express distinct receptor repertoires for tumor-associated macrophage derived cytokines. Biochem Biophys Res Commun (411):107-110.
- Sparano JA, Goldstein LJ, Childs BH, Shak S, Brassard D, Badve S, Baehner FL, Bugarini R, Rowley S, Perez EA, Shulman LN, Martino S, Davidson NE, Kenny PA, Sledge GW and Gray R. (2011) Relationship between quantitative GRB7 RNA expression and recurrence after adjuvant anthracycline chemotherapy in triple negative breast cancer. Clinical Cancer Research 17(22):7194-7203.
- Loudig O, Brandwein-Gensler M, Kim R, Lin J, Isayeva T, Segall JE, Kenny PA and Prystowsky MB (2011) Illumina whole-genome DASL platform: Assessing its performance in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded samples and its applicability for identification of invasion-related genes in aggressive oral squamous cell carcinoma. Human Pathology 42(12):1911-22.
More Information About Dr. Paraic Kenny
Kenny Lab home page
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.