Areas of Research: His lab studies heart development and disease using mouse models in three areas: (1) cardiovascular cell specification and differentiation, (2) genetic and epigenetic regulation of cardiogenesis, and (3) modeling of human congenital heart disease in mice.
The research of my lab focuses on molecular and cellular mechanisms in cardiovascular development and diseases. We apply an integrated approach of mouse genetics, developmental embryology, cell and molecular biology to study how cardiovascular precursor cells are specified and differentiated into different cardiovascular tissues during development and regeneration. We are currently working on four projects: (1) endocardial cell specification and differentiation, (2) transcriptional regulation of cardiac valve development, (3) modeling of heart valve diseases, and (4) epigenetic and genetic regulation of heart and coronary vessel development.
- Zhou, B.*, Wu, B., Tompkins, K.L., Boyer, K.L., Grindley, J.C., and Baldwin, H.S. Characterization of NFATc1 regulation identifies an enhancer required for gene expression that is specific to pro-valve endocardial cells in the developing heart. Development 132:1137-1146. 2005. PMID: 15689382 *Corresponding author
- Chen J-W., Zhou, B.*, Shin, J., Schneider, M.D. H., BaldwinH.S., and Bergelson, J.M. Cardiomyocyte-Specific expression of the coxsackievirus and adenovirus receptor is essential for normal left ventricular development. Circ Res. 98:923-30. 2006. PMID: 16543498 *Co-first author
- Wu, H., Kao, S-C., Barrientos, T., Baldwin, H.S., Olson, E.N., Crabtree, G.R., Zhou, B. and Chang, C-P. DSCR1 is a transcriptional target of NFATc1 within the endocardium during heart development. J. Biol. Chem. 282:30673-9, 2007. PMCID: 2366997
- Langworthy, M., Zhou, B., de Caestecker, M., Moeckel G., and Baldwin, H.S. NFATc1 Identifies a Population of Proximal Tubule Cell Progenitors J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 20:311-21. 2009. PMCID: 2637056
- Ying, L., Lau, A, Alvira, C.M., West R., Cann G.M., Zhou, B., Kinnear, C., Jan, E., Sarnow, P., Van de Rijn, M., and Rabinovitch, M. LC3 Mediated Fibronectin mRNA Translation Induces Fibrosarcoma Growthby Increasing Connective Tissue Growth Factor. J. Cell Sci. 122:1441-5, 2009. PMCID: 2672968
- Zhou, B., Ma, Q., Kong, S.W., Hu, Y., Campbell, P.H., McGowan, F.X., Ackerman, K.G., Wu, B., Zhou, B., Tevosian S.G., and Pu, W.T. Fog2 is critical for cardiac function and maintenance of coronary vasculature in the adult mouse heart. J. Clin. Invest. 119(6):1462-76, 2009. PMCID: 2689123
- ZeiniM., HangC-T, Lehrer-Graiwer, J., Zhou, B., and Chang C-P. Endothelial calcineurin-NFAT signaling functions within a narrow developmental window to regulate coronary vascular patterning. Development136:3335-45,2009
- Wu, B., Zhou, B., Wang, Y., Cheng H-L, Hang, C.T., Pu, W.T., Chang, C-P and Zhou, B. Inducible cardiomyocyte-specific gene disruption directed by the rat Tnnt2 promoter in the mouse. Genesis 48:63-72, 2010. PMID: 20014345
- Hang, C.T., Yang, J., Han, P., Cheng, H.L., Shang, C., Ashley, E., Zhou, B., Chang, C-P. Chromatin regulation by Brg1 underlies heart muscle development and disease. Nature 466:62-7, 2010. PMCID: 2898892
- Wu, B., Wang, Y., Lui, W., Langworthy, M., Tompkins, K.L., Hatzopoulos, A.K., Baldwin, H.S., Zhou, B. Nfatc1 Coordinates Valve Endocardial Cell Lineage Development Required for Heart Valve Formation. Circ. Res. 109:183-192, 2011 NIHMSID: 299095. PMID: 21591072
- Wu, B., Zhang, Z.,Lui, W., Chen, X., Moreno-Rodriquez, R.A.,Wang, Y.,Chamberlain, A., Markwald, R.A., O’Rourke B., Sharp, D. J., Lenz, J., Baldwin, H.S.,Chang, C.P. and Zhou, B. Endocardial Cells Form the Coronary Arteries by Angiogenesis through Myocardial to Endocardial VEGF Signaling. Cell. 151(5):1083-1096, 2012
- Wang, Y, Wu, B, Chamberlain, AA, Lui, W, Koirala, P, Susztak, K, Klein, D, Taylor, V, Zhou, B. Endocardial to myocardial Notch-Wnt-Bmp axis regulates early heart valve development. PLoS ONE 8(4):e60244, 2013
- Xiong, Y, Li, W, Shang, C, Chen, R, Wu, B, Pan, P, Zhou, B, Longaker, M, Chang, C-P. Brg1 governs a positive feedback circuit in the hair follicle for tissue regeneration and repair. Dev. Cell 25:169-181, 2013
- Zhang Z, Zhou B. Accelerated Coronary Angiogenesis by Vegfr1-Knockout Endocardial Cells PLoS ONE 8(7):e70570, 2013
- Chamberlain AA, Lin M, Lister RL, Maslov AA, Wang Y, Suzuki M, Wu B, Greally, JM, Zheng D, Zhou B. DNA methylation is developmentally regulated for genes essential for cardiogenesis. J Am Heart Assoc 2014 Jun 19;3(3):e000976
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.