Paul J. Gaglio, M.D.
Paul J. Gaglio, MD, is a Professor of Clinical Medicine at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in Bronx, NY. He joined the faculty in December 2007 to assist in establishing a new liver transplantation program at Montefiore Medical Center, and now serves as Montefiore’s medical director of Adult Liver Transplantation. He received his bachelor’s in Physiology and Italian from Rutgers College in New Brunswick, NJ, and his M.D. from UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School. He completed an internship and residency at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City, and a digestive disease/liver transplantation fellowship at New Jersey Medical School. The author of multiple manuscripts, book chapters, and abstracts, he has also participated in numerous research trials related to the therapy of hepatitis B and C, liver transplantation, and treatment of liver failure. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians and the American Gastroenterological Association, and his research interests include models to enhance liver regeneration, novel treatments of hepatitis B and C, natural history of hepatitis C in liver transplant recipients, and non alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Gaglio PJ, Baskin G, Bohm R Jr, Blanchard J, Cheng S, Dunne B, Davidson J, Liu H, Dash S. Partial hepatectomy and laparoscopic-guided liver biopsy in rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta): novel approach for study of liver regeneration. Comp Med. 2000; 50:363-368.
- Gaglio PJ, Liu H, Dash S, Cheng S, Dunne B, Ratterree M, Baskin G, Blanchard J, Bohm R Jr, Theise ND, LaBrecque D. Liver regeneration investigated in a non-human primate model (Macaca mulatta). J Hepatol. 2002; 37:625-632.
- Gaglio PJ, Malireddy S, Levitt BS, Lapointe-Rudow D, Lefkowitch J, Kinkhabwala M, Russo MW, Emond JC, Brown RS Jr. Increased risk of cholestatic hepatitis C in recipients of grafts from living versus cadaveric liver donors. Liver Transpl. 2003; 9:1028-1035.
- Brown RS Jr, Gaglio PJ. Scope of worldwide hepatitis C problem. Liver Transpl. 2003; 9:S10-S13.
- Gaglio PJ, Rodriguez-Torres M, Herring R, Anand B, Box T, Rabinovitz M, Brown RS; Infergen Study Group. Racial differences in response rates to consensus interferon in HCV infected patients naive to previous therapy. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2004; 38:599-604.
- Gaglio PJ, Sterling R, Daniels E, Tedaldi E; and the Terry Beirn Community Programs for Clinical Research on AIDS Hepatitis Working Group. Hepatitis B Virus and HIV coinfection: Results of a survey on treatment practices and recommendations for therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 45:618-623.
- Gaglio PJ, Singh S, Degertekin B, Ishitani M, Hussain M, Perrillo R, Lok AS and the NIH Hepatitis B Virus-Orthotopic Liver Transplantation Study Group. Impact of the hepatitis B virus genotype on pre- and post-liver transplantation outcomes. Liver Transpl. 2008; 14:1420-1427.
- Feuerstadt P, Bunim AL, Garcia H, Karlitz JJ, Massoumi H, Thosani AJ, Pellecchia A, Wolkoff AW, Gaglio PJ, Reinus JF. Effectiveness of hepatitis C treatment with pegylated interferon and ribavirin in urban minority patients. Hepatology. 2010; 51:1137-1143.
- Gaglio PJ, Moss N, McGaw C, Reinus J. Direct-acting antiviral therapy for Hepatitis C: attitudes regarding future use: Dig Dis Sci. 2011; 56:1509-1515.
- Flattau A, Olaywi M, Gaglio PJ, Marcus P, Meissner P, L Dorfman EB, Reinus JF. Social barriers to listing for adult liver transplantation: their prevalence and association with program characteristics. Liver Transpl. 2011; 17:1167-1175.
- Gaglio PJ, Marfo K, Chiodo J, III. Hyponatremia in cirrhosis and end-stage liver disease: Treatment with the vasopressin V₂-receptor antagonist tolvaptan. Dig Dis Sci. 2012; 57:2774-2785.
- Gaglio PJ Jr,, Gaglio PJ Sr. Complications in patients with alcohol-associated liver disease who undergo liver transplantation. Clin Liver Dis. 2012; 16:865-875.
- Kinkhabwala M, Lindower J, Reinus JF, Principe AL, Gaglio PJ. Expedited liver allocation in the United States: A critical analysis. Liver Transpl. 2013; 19:1159-1165.
- Bichoupan K, Schwartz JM, Martel-Laferriere V, Giannattasio ER, Marfo K, Odin JA, Liu LU, Schiano TD, Perumalswami P, Bansal M, Gaglio PJ, Kalia H, Dieterich DT, Branch AD, Reinus JF. Effect of fibrosis on adverse events in patients with hepatitis C treated with telaprevir. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014; 39:209-216.
- Tandan S, Sun K, Gaglio PJ. A rare finding on liver explant. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014 Feb 20 [Epub ahead of print].
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.