The interview day begins with breakfast followed by a group meeting with the program director. The rest of the day consists of two formal interviews with members of the MSTP Steering Committee and a series of informal meetings with faculty of the applicant’s choice. Applicants have lunch with current MSTP students during the interview day. Hotel accommodations are provided for the night before the interview. The evening before the interviews, applicants are invited to an informal dinner with current MSTP students and to a social held after dinner at a current student’s apartment.
Day Before the Interview Day
- Arrival. Typically MSTP applicants arrive in New York in the afternoon of the day before their interview. Applicants are provided accommodation at the Radisson Hotel located in New Rochelle.
- 6:30 p.m. Applicants meet outside the Radisson Lobby for bus transportation to an informal dinner with current MSTP students (casual dress). After boarding the bus, the driver will be making a stop at Einstein to pick up the MSTP students and other applicants before heading to the restaurant. After dinner, you will be given an opportunity to view an on-campus apartment. At the end of the evening, applicants will be returned to the hotel.
- 7:45 a.m. Applicants meet outside the Radisson Lobby for bus transportation to Einstein. Applicants should take all of their personal belongings with them as they will not be returning to the hotel.
- 8:15 a.m. When you arrive at Einstein, Security will request to see some form of identification and will have you sign in. You will receive your Einstein Visit Pass for the day. You will be instructed to go to Belfer Room 207 Conference Room. You will be greeted by the Program Coordinator, Maria Cuesta, and will be given your personalized schedule for the day. Breakfast will be served.
- 8:30 a.m. Presentation of “Life at Albert Einstein College of Medicine” followed by a question-and-answer session with a current MSTP Student.
- 9:00 a.m. Meet with Dr. Myles Akabas, Director of the Medical Scientist Training Program.
- 10:00 – 12:00 a.m. Individualized interviews that reflect the applicant’s interests.
- 12:15 p.m. Meet at 207 Belfer for a campus tour and lunch with current MSTP students.
- 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. Interviews with faculty continue. Your day will be over by 5:00 p.m.
Applicants who are accepted by the MSTP program will be invited to revisit Einstein. The revisit date will be March 24, 2017 If you are unable to attend on the revisit date you should contact us and we can make individual arrangements. Travel expenses and hotel accommodations for the revisit are paid by the program. The revisit begins in the evening with a dinner hosted by current MSTP students. The following day you will have an opportunity to meet with the Director, MSTP students and additional faculty of your choice. This is an opportunity to speak with potential thesis research mentors. This visit will provide you with a more relaxed opportunity to appreciate the strengths of the Einstein MSTP program than you had on your initial visit on Interview Day.
Information on traveling to the Albert Einstein College of Medicine can be found here.
Important Dates for Accepted Applicants
- Revisit Date - Friday, March 31, 2017
- Deadline for submitting $100 refundable deposit - April 1
- Multiple Accept Deadline - April 30 (see below)
- Housing move in dates - Wed. June 21 - Sun. June 25, 2017
- MSTP Orientation - Mon. June 26 - Tues. June 27, 2017
- MSTP Histology Course Begins - Wed. June 28, 2017
Multiple Accept Deadline By AAMC rules the multiple accept deadline for MD-PhD programs is April 30. As of April 30 you may only hold one acceptance in an MD-PhD or MD program. Information regarding the AAMC multiple accept deadlines is available at AAMC Rules # 5 & 6. You are not required to withdraw from programs where you are waitlisted but if you plan to attend the Einstein MSTP, you must withdraw from all other MD-PhD and MD programs to which you have been accepted by April 30. If this creates a significant hardship please contact the Program Director, Myles Akabas . Likewise, we would appreciate knowing at the earliest possible time if you have decided to matriculate elsewhere.