Here are some of the Frequently Asked Questions about admission to the Einstein MSTP:
Are all applicants interviewed?
- No. Once your application is complete it will be screened by members of the Steering Committee. We typically receive about 350 applications and interview about 90 applicants. About 12-14 students enter the program each year.
- If you are not interviewed your application will be passed, depending on your request, to either the medical school or graduate school for further consideration.
How are admissions to the MSTP program determined?
- Admission to the MSTP program is solely determined by the MSTP Steering Committee. On the interview day, applicants have two formal interviews with members of the MSTP Steering Committee. The written evaluations from these formal interviews together with the entire application package are distributed to the members of the MSTP Steering Committee. The committee meets approximately once per month to discuss the pending applications.
When will I hear whether I have been accepted by Einstein’s MSTP program?
- We have a rolling admissions process. Acceptances are mailed following the MSTP Steering Committee meetings that typically occur about four to six weeks after each interview date. Students who do not receive immediate acceptances will be placed on the Wait List. The MSTP Steering Committee periodically reviews the applicants on the Wait List. The applications of students on the MSTP Wait List will be considered by the Medical School Admissions Committee. You may be accepted by the Medical School before you receive a final decision from the MSTP program.
- If you are accepted by the medical school but not by the MSTP program you should strongly consider matriculating into the medical school and then reapplying to the MSTP program via the Alternate Pathway. The Alternate Pathway allows students in the first and second year of medical or graduate school at Einstein to apply to the MSTP program. There are typically 2 to 6 applications and 0 to 1 students accepted per year.
If I am accepted by the Einstein MSTP will I have a chance to revisit Einstein?
- Yes, all accepted students are invited to revisit Einstein. The revisit date is in mid-March. If you are unable to attend on the revisit date you should contact us and we can make individual arrangements. Travel expenses and hotel accommodations are paid by the program.
What is the deadline for completing the MSTP application?
- The AMCAS deadlines must be met. The AMCAS application must be completed by October 15 and all of your transcripts submitted to AMCAS by November 1. The Einstein Medical School Secondary Application, the MSTP Supplementary Application and your two letters of recommendation must be received by December 1. Applications that are incomplete as of December 1 will not be considered for admission to the MSTP program. However, please note that we have a rolling admissions process and we strongly encourage you to submit your application as early as possible.
Does the Einstein MSTP accept international students?
- International students are encouraged to apply. As with all applicants, in order to be eligible to apply, foreign students must have completed at least three years of study toward a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or Canada. We typically accept international students each year. They receive the same financial support as American students.
What are the minimum acceptable GPA and MCAT scores?
- There is no minimum score. Each application is read completely before a decision is made as to whether to interview an applicant. This decision is based on the applicant’s entire package. There is a strong emphasis on the extent of prior research experience and the recommendations from research mentors. For the 2015 entering class the average GPA was 3.7 and the combined MCAT score was 33.
Does Einstein make reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities?