CV FORMAT GUIDELINES
General PhD CV Format
General PhD Resume Template
FREE CAREER BOOKLETS
Registration Page for career advice booklets from ScienceCareers.org
Career Trends -Step by Step: Your Career from Undergrad to Postdoc (free pdf booklet)
Individual Development Plan (IDP)
An ONLINE individual development plan 'MYIDP' from ScienceCareers.org
Belfer Academic Development Plan
EINSTEIN LIBRARY RESOURCES
The Einstein Library offers career and professional resources for Graduate Students, Postdocs, and Faculty - http://libguides.einstein.yu.edu/PhDCareerResources
YESHIVA UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCES
The Yeshiva University Human Resources invites graduate students and postdoctoral researchers to participate in their Talent Development seminars/courses. Sign up early to reserve one of the limited number of slots per event.
- Dee, Phil. Building a Successful Career in Scientific Research: a Guide for PhD Students and Postdocs. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2006. Print.
- Rothwell, Nancy. Who Wants to Be a Scientist?: Choosing Science as a Career. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2002. Print.
- Smith, Robert V. Graduate Research: a Guide for Students in the Sciences. Seattle: University of Washington, 1998. Print.
Careers in Academia
- Advisor, Teacher, Role Model, Friend. Washington, D.C.: National Academy, 1997. Print.
- Cahn, Steven M. From Student to Scholar: a Candid Guide to Becoming a Professor. New York: Columbia UP, 2008. Print.
- Caplan, Paula J. Lifting a Ton of Feathers: a Woman's Guide for Surviving in the Academic World. Toronto: University of Toronto, 1994. Print.
- Gray, Paul, and David E. Drew. What They Didn't Teach You in Graduate School: 199 Helpful Hints for Success in Your Academic Career. Sterling, Va.: Stylus Pub, 2008. Print.
- Toth, Emily. Ms. Mentor's Impeccable Advice for Women in Academia. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania, 1997. Print.
Careers outside Academia
- Borbye, L. Secrets to Success in Industry Careers: Essential Skills for Science and Business. London: Academic, 2008. Print.
- Bridges to Independence: Fostering the Independence of New Investigators in Biomedical Research. Washington, D.C.: National Academies, 2005. Print.
- Freedman, Toby. Career Opportunities in Biotechnology and Drug Development. Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 2008. Print.
- Kreeger, Karen Young. Guide to Nontraditional Careers in Science. Philadelphia, PA: Taylor & Francis, 1999. Print.
- Robbins-Roth, Cynthia. Alternative Careers in Science: Leaving the Ivory Tower. San Diego: Academic, 1998. Print.
Writing and Speaking about Science
- Alley, Michael. The Craft of Scientific Writing. New York: Springer, 1996. Print.
- Anholt, Robert Rene Henri. Dazzle 'em with Style: the Art of Oral Scientific Presentation. Philadelphia: Elsevier Academic, 2006. Print.
- Booth, Vernon. Communicating in Science: Writing a Scientific Paper and Speaking at Scientific Meetings. Cambridge [England: Cambridge UP, 1993. Print.
- Friedland, Andrew J., and Carol L. Folt. Writing Successful Science Proposals. New Haven: Yale UP, 2000. Print.
- Gerin, William. Writing the NIH Grant Proposal: a Step-by-step Guide. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 2006. Print.
- Gibaldi, Joseph. MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers. New York: Modern Language Association of America, 2003. Print.
- Morgan, Scott, and Barrett Whitener. Speaking about Science: a Manual for Creating Clear Presentations. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2006. Print.
- Yang, Otto O. Guide to Effective Grant Writing How to Write an Effective NIH Grant Application. New York, NY: Springer, 2007. Print.