Bioethicist Tia Powell, M.D., says bioethics is not about technology.
- From gene therapy to end of life issues, bioethicists are often asked for guidance to help families and caregivers make the best decisions for their loved ones. In this blog post for Einstein’s The Doctor’s Tablet, Dr. Powell argues what’s becoming overlooked are the “old” questions of bioethics – the values, beliefs, desires and dignity of patients.
Lauren Flicker, J.D., M.B.E., speaks to Al Jazeera America on the ethical implications of forced chemotherapy on a 17-year-old Connecticut teen.
- In a live interview with John Seigenthaler, Flicker explores the legal and ethical implications of the case. Flicker is assistant professor of epidemiology and population health at Einstein and assistant director, Einstein-Cardozo Master of Science in Bioethics. She is also assistant director of graduate studies at the Montefiore-Einstein Center for Bioethics.
Dr. Tia Powell, director of the Center for Bioethics and its graduate programs, weighs in on a variety of bioethics issues:
- The Christian Science Monitor interviews Tia Powell, M.D., about the ethics and policies around the dying with dignity movement in light of Brittany Maynard’s decision to end her life due to terminal brain cancer. Dr. Powell notes that better and more universal access to palliative care is necessary before any new policies are made so as to ensure more vulnerable populations, such as minorities and lower-income families, do not choose assisted death due to financial concerns.
- In a special report, published by The Hastings Center, bioethicists Tia Powell and Mary Beth Foglia co-edit LGBT Bioethics: Visibility, Disparities and Dialogue. The report explores the role bioethics can play in highlighting and seeking to reduce medical and legal injustices that LGBT people face.
- In response to recent controversy surrounding the case of a pregnant woman in Texas kept on life support against her family’s wishes, Dr. Powell weighs in on the ethical issues, in a MedPage Today article.
- When Life Imitates Work: The Bioethicist Confronts Her Mother's Dementia, Dr. Powell’s presentation from the 17th Annual Neurology Symposium: Comprehensive Approach to Dementia. Listen to the podcast.
- In a Bloomberg article, Dr. Powell comments on the controversial topic of doctor-assisted dying including financial concerns that can affect decisions.
- Dr. Powell discusses FDA standards for studying new Alzheimer's drugs, in her first entry as a blogger for The Huffington Post.