Thursday, September 20, 2018
In 2018, an Einstein Council for Diversity and Inclusion in Medicine was convened to review and coordinate diversity activities across the College of Medicine continuum and to share best practices as well as lessons learned. The Council is comprised of representatives from the following functional units at the College: medical student admissions, medical student affairs, medical education, graduate medical education, graduate education, postdoctoral affairs, and faculty and staff diversity in addition to membership from other leadership groups representing the Office of Diversity Enhancement, LGBTQ affairs, women in academic medicine, and school-wide diversity and inclusion initiatives.
The Council will be led by two co-chairs designated by Einstein’s Dean. In addition, leaders holding the following titles will also be active members of the Council. They include
- Executive Dean
- Senior Associate Dean for Medical Education
- Associate Dean, Office of Diversity Enhancement
- Associate Dean for Medical Education and Curricular Affairs
- Associate Dean for Student Affairs
- Associate Dean for Admissions
- Associate Dean for Graduate Programs in Biomedical Science
- Associate Dean for GME at Montefiore
- Associate Dean for GME at Jacobi Medical Center
- Vice President, Human Resources
- Assistant Vice President, Diversity & Inclusion at Montefiore Medical Center
- Co-Chairs of Faculty Diversity Action Committee
- Member of the Office of Development
One active member from each of the following organizations will hold a position on the Council:
- American Medical Women's Association (AMWA)
- Asian Pacific American Medical Student Association (APAMSA)
- Building the Next Generation of Academic Physicians (BNGAP)
- Einstein PRIDE
- Einstein Synagogue
- Graduate Student Council (GSC)
- Latinx Medical Student Association (LMSA)
- Muslim Student Association (MSA)
- Minority Scientists Association (EMSA)
- Student Governing Board (SGB)
- Student National Medical Association (SNMA)
- Postdoc Senator at the Senate Council
- Student Senator at the Senate Council
- Faculty Senator at the Senate Council
- Einstein's Community Advisory Council
- Einstein 1199 Chapter Member
- Administrators’ Representative
- 1. To advise the Dean and College leadership on diversity and inclusion issues.
- 2. To play a key role in communicating and disseminating the College’s diversity and inclusion programs, initiatives, and priorities to the broader community.
- 3. To coordinate among its members the activities supporting diversity and inclusion in stakeholder units.
- 4. To advocate for diversity and inclusion within the College.
The Council meets monthly during the academic year and its two co-chairs discuss Council matters regularly with the College’s senior leadership and directly with the Dean.