The Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Women's Health of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, recognized nationally and internationally for its outstanding academic achievements, comprises more than 100 faculty members (25 with joint appointments in additional departments) and an active nurse midwifery service. Faculty and staff work at campuses in Manhattan, the Bronx, Westchester, and Queens, and are responsible for 7,000 births annually as well as performing 3,000 surgical procedures. The original Bronx-based faculty houses a large residency program and is one of the few departments in the country to offer every one of the approved fellowship training programs in the advanced subspecialties of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Gynecologic Oncology, Reproductive Genetics, Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery and Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility. There are 38 residents in the core Bronx program, along with 21 fellows. Adding to the national and international reputations of current faculty, previous trainees and faculty in the Department have attained high recognition in the field, with 5 currently serving as Vice Chairmen of departments, 14 becoming Chairmen of departments, and 2 now serving as Vice Deans in medical schools.
With the additional Einstein-associated Ob/Gyn residency programs added as a result of the medical school's affiliations, the department now oversees and shares the academic responsibility for the postgraduate training of 75 residents in Obstetrics and Gynecology at seven accredited New York residency programs. In addition, the department serves as a locus of training for nurse midwifery students and physician assistants in women's health.
From the time of the founding of the medical college in 1955, five dedicated physicians have served as Chairman of this department. These five men shaped its foundations, recruited talented faculty and house staff, placed an emphasis on comprehensive clinical education of medical students, residents and fellows, encouraged vigorous programs of research in the basic sciences and related clinical areas, and positioned the department to take its place among the top programs in the country. The success of the department is the story of their achievements during their years of service: Morris Glass, MD (1955-1957), Seymour Romney, MD (1957-1972), Harold Schulman, MD (1972-1980), Irwin Kaiser, MD (the acting Chair from 1980-1982), and Irwin R. Merkatz, MD, the present Chairman who has served in that capacity since 1982, making him the Chairman with the longest tenure in the medical college.
A prime goal of the faculty is to provide comprehensive women's health care to a diverse population of women. Simultaneous is the department's commitment to educate health professionals and to encourage and conduct clinical and basic science research in women's health and perinatal obstetrics so as to optimize the health and well-being of women and infants. To this end, an academic environment has been fostered which supports young faculty jointly within its boundaries and through innovative interdisciplinary relationships with both basic science departments and sister clinical departments.