Einstein/Montefiore Department of Medicine

The Middle Years

The Middle Years

Einstein poster
Image: Poster advertising the Albert Einstein College of Medicine groundbreaking ceremony. (full image)

The Beginning of Unification
Beginning in 1977, the leaders at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (AECOM) and Montefiore Medical Center (MMC) began to develop unified departments combining the strengths at both campuses under a single department chair.

Montefiore Joins Albert Einstein College of Medicine
In 1968, the MMC Department of Medicine became a full partner with AECOM, and David Hamerman moved from AECOM to MMC to lead that effort.

Training Sites
Until 1977 training took place not only in Montefiore hospital but also at Morrisania Hospita.

A Unified Department of Medicine
In July of 1980 Louis Sherwood was recruited to become the first Unified Chairman of Medicine for AECOM and MMC .

Unification of the Divisions
Several steps were taken to advance the cooperation and amalgamation of certain bicampus activities.

Research
During the late 1960s research conducted in the Montefiore branch of the Department of Medicine flourished in hematology, endocrinology and cardiology.

Faculty Additions
On the East Campus, the research enterprise remained highly productive, and many new outstanding physician scientists joined the faculty.

NIH Sponsorship
As the Department moved into the 1990s many divisions were recipients of NIH sponsored Program Project grants, including cardiology, hematology, rheumatology, hepatic disease, and diabetes.

Organization of the Residencies
In the 1980s discussions began within the Department and between AECOM and MMC about the advisability of joining the separate Jacobi and MMC internal medicine residencies into one.

Private Practice in the Department of Medicine
Recognizing the coming shift in financing of academic medicin.e, during the 1980s Sherwood began to strengthen the practice activities of the Department

The Jacobi Medical Service
After almost 40 years of heading the Jacobi medical service and its residency program, Milford Fulop stepped down in 1993.

The Weiler Medical Service
The AECOM Hospital (now called the Jack D. Weiler Hospital) opened in 1966.

AIDS and the Department of Medicine
The AIDS epidemic has had a profound effect on the Department of Medicine’s research care and training programs.

Ambulatory Care and Primary Care Programs
During the 1990s there was increasing national emphasis on primary care, and goals were set for at least 50% of graduates of internal medicine to pursue generalist careers.

Education
Through the 1990s the Department continued to teach medical students, house officers, and post-graduate specialty fellows; this encompasses up to 11 years of physician training.

Clinical Clerkships and New Affiliations
Beginning in 1987, AECOM took on new affiliations: Bronx-Lebanon Hospital, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, and Beth Israel Medical Center (BIMC).

Teaching Awards
The Department’s emphasis on teaching led to special recognition by the medical school of many of its faculty.

Separation of Jacobi and North Central Bronx Hospitals
Montefiore had a long affiliation with the municipal hospital system, first running the medical service at Morrisania hospital and then at NCB. From its opening in 1955 AECOM had been responsible for the medical service at Jacobi Hospital.

Summary
The joining of the AECOM and MMC Departments of Medicine under one leadership structure had largely been completed by 1999.

The End of the Beginning
By the end of the 20th century, the science, the knowledge base, the organization, and the funding of health care had all undergone dramatic changes.

 

Calendar

Thursday, September 04, 2014

Addressing the Rising Challenge of Non-AIDS Defining Cancers in Persons with HIV Infection
Missak Haigentz, Jr, MD
8:00 AM : Forchheimer Medical Science Building 3rd Floor Lecture Hall

Grand Rounds

East Campus

West Campus

Archive

Contact Us

Department of Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Jack and Pearl Resnick Campus
Belfer Building - Room 1008
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461 (directions)

718.430.2591
Fax: 718.430.8563

 
Click here to log in