The very successful 2011 Department of Medicine Resident/Fellow Research Symposium was held Monday, May 16. Forty-eight posters were presented by residents and 44 by fellows, for a total of 92, an all-time high number of submissions for this event.
Funds for the Research Symposium are provided by Dr. James Scheuer, University Chairman of Medicine Emeritus. Addressing the winners, Dr. Scheuer wrote: "Congratulations on your posters and the work that went into them. And thank you for representing a very important aspect of your training programs. I hope the work you presented is just a start on generating new knowledge throughout your careers. As rewarding patient care and teaching activities are, there is nothing more exciting than investigative work. Those of us that have been able to include research in our activities have been especially rewarded."
After much deliberation, the judges awarded the following monetary (and non-monetary honorary) prizes: $300 for first place, $200 for second, $100 for third, to the following residents and fellows.
- 1st Place: Chen, Wei, Chen J, Garcia D, Lakhani P, Golestaneh L. Vancomycin Dosing in Morbidly Obese Patients Undergoing CVVHD.
- 2nd Place: Yang, Ying, Kitsis RN. Compensation for Loss of ARC, a Cardiac Myocyte Survival Protein.
- 3rd Place: Pintova S, Cohen HW, Billett HH. Influence of Sickle Cell Trait on the Risk of Venous Thromboembolism in Pregnancy and the Postpartum.
- Honorary Citation: Bachhuber, Marcus, Southern W. Hospitalization Rates Among HIV-Seropositive Persons Based on Gender and Race/Ethnicity in the United States, 2006.
- Honorary Citation: Sobolev, Maria, Prince DZ, Gao J, Taub C. Racial Disparity in Participation Among Patients in an Urban Cardiac Rehabilitation Program.
- Honorary Citation: Blecher, Karin, Friedman A, Wen J, Xia Y, Michaelson J, Burkly L, Putterman C. TWEAKing the Inflammatory Cascade: The TWEAK/Fn14 Pathway as a Potential Therapeutic Target for Cutaneous Lupus.
- 1st Place: Koppaka, Sudha, Mehta D, Bursheh S, Li W, Zhang K, Boucai L, Kehlenbrink S, Kishore P, Hawkins M. Central Regulation of Endogenous Glucose Production (EGP) is Impaired in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (T2DM).
- 2nd Place: Eisenberg, Nell, Tsukrov D, Jain P, Makume M, Govender K, O’Donnell M, Sturm AW, Jacobs Jr. WR. A Novel “TBlue Spot” Reporter Phage Assay for the Detection of TB with Drug Susceptibility within 24 Hours.
- 3rd Place: Kelesidis I, Saeed W, Mazurek J, Chaudhari R, Zolty R. Effect of Nesiritide on Renal Function in Patients with Decompensated Heart Failure and Normal Left Ventricular Function: Comparison of Patients with Isolated Right Ventricular Failure with Patients with Normal Right Ventricular Function.
- Honorary Citation: Dinkels, Michael, Aldrich TK, Ye F, Cosenza K, Hall CB, Cohen HW, Webber MP, Gustave J, Weiden MD, Kelly KJ, Christodoulou V, Prezant DJ. The Influence of Firefighting on Pulmonary function: A Longitudinal Study of the First 3 Years of Duty.
- Honorary Citation: Bhatia, Vivek, Formica P, Browne A, Tan C, Shin J, Maybaum S. Altitude Training Improves Exercise Performance and Quality of Life in Patients with Chronic Heart Failure.
- Honorary Citation: Mues, Marsha, Cheshenko N, Herold BC. Inhibitor of Dynamin Blocks Herpes Simplex Virus Egress and Cell-to-Cell Spread in Neuronal and Epithelial Cells; A Novel Target to Prevent Primary and Reactivation of Viral Infection.
Special thanks go to Bettina Fries and Anna Manca for their hard work and great success in soliciting submissions, arranging for the space and food and bulletin boards, and organizing the handouts for the event.