Richard A. Murphy, M.D.
My interest is improving the diagnosis and management of infectious diseases among marginalized populations in low-income countries. Specifically my research focuses on: (1) HIV-infected patients with antiretroviral therapy failure, (2) innovative strategies to improve uptake of HAART among HIV-infected patients with acute OI and (3) the epidemiology and management of drug-resistant and emerging infections in resource-poor contexts.
- Murphy RA, Marconi VC, Gandhi RT, Kuritzkes DR, Sunpath H (2012) Coadministration of Lopinavir/Ritonavir and Rifampicin in HIV and Tuberculosis Co-Infected Adults in South Africa. PLoS ONE 7(9): e44793. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0044793
- Murphy RA, Sunpath H, Marconi V, Kurtizkes DR, Nachega, J. Second-line antiretroviral therapy: long-term outcomes in South Africa. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012 Oct 1;61(2):158-163.
- Julg B, Poole D, Ghebremichael M, Castilla C, Altfeld M, Murphy RA, Walker B. (2012) “Factors Predicting Discordant Virological and Immunological Responses to Antiretroviral Therapy in HIV-1 Clade C Infected Zulu/Xhosa in South Africa.” PLoS ONE 7(2): e31161.
- Sunpath H, Warren C, Murphy RA. “Operationalizing Early Antiretroviral Initiation in Patients Presenting with tuberculosis and AIDS in South Africa.” Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012 June
- Murphy RA, Ronat JB, Herard P, Blackwell N, Abgrall S, Anderson DJ. “Multidrug- resistant chronic osteomyelitis complicating war injury in Iraqi civilians.” The Journal of Trauma. 2011
- Singh A, Sunpath H, Green TN, Padayachi N, Hiramen K, Lie Y, Anton ED, Murphy RA, Reeves JD, Kuritzkes DR, Ndungʼu T. “Drug Resistance and Viral Tropism in HIV-1 Subtype C-Infected Patients in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: Implications for Future Treatment Options.” J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011 Jun 24.
- Murphy RA, Taha B, Smeaton L, H. Sunpath, S. Kapagoda, T. Maphasa, D. Kuritzkes. “Low uptake of antiretroviral therapy after admission with human immunodeficiency virus and tuberculosis in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.” Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2010 Jul;14(7):903-8.
- Murphy RA. Letter to the Editor: Establishing the Prevalence of Extended-spectrum Beta-lactamases in East Africa. The Lancet, Volume 375, Issue 9713, Pages 460 - 461, 6 February 2010
- Murphy RA, Sunpath H, Lu Z, Chelin C, Losina E, Gordon M , Ross D, Ewusi A, Matthews L, Kuritzkes D, Marconi, M. “Outcomes 24 Weeks After First-line Antiretroviral Therapy Failure and HIV-1 Drug Resistance Testing in South Africa.” AIDS, 2010 April 24; Issue (7 ):1007–1012
- Murphy RA, France H, Sunpath H, Gordon M, Marconi V C, Kuritzkes D R, McIntosh, K. "Development of Dual-Class Antiretroviral Drug Resistance in a Child Co-infected with HIV and Tuberculosis: A Case Report from KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa" Journal of Tropical Pediatrics, 2008 Sept 11.
- Murphy RA. "The Emerging Crisis of Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis in South Africa: Lessons from New York City" Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2008 Jun 1;46(11):1729-32.
- Murphy RA, Sunpath H, Kuritzkes DR, Venter F, Gandhi RT. “Antiretroviral Therapy Associated Toxicities in the Resource-Poor World: The Challenge of a Limited Formulary.” Journal of Infectious Disease, 2007 Dec 1;196 Suppl 3:S449-56.
- Murphy RA. “Temporary Health Care, Lasting Power – How Human Rights Advocacy Helped the Citizens of Princeville, North Carolina Take on FEMA.” Human Rights Dialogue 2001; Series 2, Number 6: p.15.
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.