Jonathan M. Schwartz, M.D.
Jonathan M. Schwartz is a board Certified Transplant Hepatologist. He is a graduate of Tel Aviv University, Sackler School of Medicine. He was an Internal Medicine Resident at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and a Fellow in Gastroenterology/Transplant Hepatology at the University of Washington in Seattle. He returned to New York in 2011 from Portland, Oregon where he served as an Associate Professor of Medicine at Oregon Health and Sciences University.
Dr. Schwartz has an interest in treating patients with acute and chronic liver diseases including those patients with advanced liver diseases who require liver transplantation.
He has a special interest in the multidisciplinary care of patients with liver tumors.
- Estes JD, Stolpman D, Olyaei A, Ham JM, Schwartz JM, Orloff SL. High Prevalence of Potentially Hepatotoxic Herbal Supplement Use in Fulminant Hepatic Failure Patients. Arch Surg. 2003;138(8):852-8.
- Schwartz JM, Beymer C, Althaus SJ, Larson AM, Zaman A, Glickerman D, Kowdley KV. Cardiopulmonary Consequences of Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunts: Role of Increased Pulmonary Artery Pressure. J Clin Gastroenterol 2004;38(7):590-594.
- Lim LL, Scarborough J, Thorne J, Graham E, Kempen J, Mackensen F, Nguyen Q D, Prabriputaloong T, Read R, Suhler EB, Schwartz JM, Smith JR. Uveitis in Patients with Autoimmune Hepatitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009;147(2):332-338.
- O’Glasser AY, Scott DA, Corless CL, Zaman A, Sasaki A, Gopal DV, Rayhill SC, Orloff SL, Ham JM, Rabkin JM, Flora K, Davies CH, Broberg CS, and Schwartz JM.Hepatic and Cardiac Iron Overload Among Patients with End-Stage Liver Disease Referred for Liver Transplantation. Clinical Transplantation. Clin Transplant. 2010 Sep-Oct;24(5):643-51.
- Kanwal F, Befeler A, Chari R, Marrero J, Kahn J, Afdhal N, Morgan T, Roberts L, Mohanty SR, Schwartz J, Van Thiel D, Hassanein TI, Li J, Zeringue A, DiBisceglie A. Rate of Potentially Curative Treatment in Patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2012 Aug;36(3):257-65.
- Bichoupan K1, Schwartz JM, Martel-Laferriere V, Giannattasio ER, Marfo K, Odin JA, Liu LU, Schiano TD, Perumalswami P, Bansal M, Gaglio PJ, Kalia H,Dieterich DT, Branch AD, Reinus JF. Effect of Fibrosis on Adverse Events in Patients with Hepatitis C Treated with Telaprevir. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014;39(2):209-16.
- Schwartz J and Carithers RL. Epidemiology and Etiologic Associations of Primary Hepatocellular Carcinoma. In Rose BD, editor. Up to date in Gastroenterology and Hepatology. Up to date, Inc. Wellesley, MA, Updated 2014.
- Schwartz JM and Carithers RL, Jr. Clinical features, diagnosis, and screening for primary hepatocellular carcinoma. Up to date in Gastroenterology and Hepatology. Up to date, Inc. Wellesley, MA, Updated 2014.
- Curley SA, Stewart KE, Schwartz JM, Carthers RL, Jr. Nonsurgical therapies for localized hepatocellular carcinoma. Up to date, Inc. Wellesley, MA, Updated 2014.
- Schwartz JM. Approach to the patient with a focal liver lesion. Up to date Inc Gastroenterology and Hepatology. Up to date, Inc. Wellesley, MA, Updated 2014.
- Hartwell L and Schwartz JM. AsymptomaticLiver Chemistry Abnormalities. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management. 2009; 16 (11): 525-34.
- Urquhart J, Schwartz, JM. Hepatocellular Carcinoma Surveillance in a Western Population with Hepatitis B. Current Hepatitis Reports, 2011.
- Schwartz, JM and Reinus JF. Prevalence and Natural History of Alcoholic Liver Disease. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2012; 16 (4): 659-66.
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.