1. Schmidt AM, Hori O, Chen JX, Li JF, Crandall J, Zhang J, Cao R, Yan SD, Brett J, Stern D. Advanced glycation end-products interacting with their endothelial receptor induces expression of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1) in cultured human endothelial cells and in mice. A potential mechansim for the accelerated vasculopathy of diabetes. J Clin Invest 1995;96:1395-403.
2. Schmidt AM, Crandall J, Hori O, Cao R, Lakatta E. Elevated plasma levels of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 (VCAM-1) in diabetic patients with microalbuminuria: a marker of vascular dysfunction and progressive vascular disease. British J Haematology 1996;92:747-50.
3. Engel S, Crandall J, Basch C, Zybert P, Wylie-Rosset J. Computer-assisted nutrition education increases knowledge and self-efficacy of medical students. The Diabetes Educator 1997;23:545-49.
4. The Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. The Diabetes Prevention Program: Design and methods for a clinical trial in the prevention of Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 1999; 22:623-34.
5. Rauch U, Crandall J, Osende J, Fallon J, Cheseboro J, Fuster V, Badimon J. Increased thrombus formation relates to ambient blood glucose and leukocyte count in diabetes mellitus Type 2. Amer J Cardiol 2000;86:246-249.
6. The Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Baseline characteristics of the randomized cohort. Diabetes Care 23:1619-29, 2000.
7. Osende J, Badimon J, Fuster V, Herson P, Rabito P, Vidhun R, Zaman A, Rodriguez O, Lev E, Rauch U, Helft G, Fallon J, Crandall J. Blood thrombogenicity in type 2 diabetes mellitus is associated with glycemic control. J Am Coll Cardiol 38:1307-12, 2001.
8. The Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin. N Engl J Med 346:393-403, 2002
9. Vlassara H, Cai W, Crandall J, Goldberg T, Oberstein R, Dardaine V, Peppa M, Rayfield E. Inflammatory mediators are induced by dietary glycotoxins, a major risk factor for diabetic angiopathy. PNAS 99:15596-15601, 2002.
10. Sambola A, Osende J, Hathcock J, Degen M, Nemerson Y, Fuster V, Crandall J, Badimon J. Role of risk factors in the modulation of tissue factor activity and blood thrombogenicity. Circulation 107:973-77, 2003.
11. The DPP Research Group. Hypertension, Insulin and Proinsulin in Subjects with Impaired Glucose Tolerance: The Diabetes Prevention Program Hypertension 40:679-686, 2002
12. The DPP Research Group. The Diabetes Prevention Program: Description of the Lifestyle Intervention. Diabetes Care 25:2165-2171, 2002
13. The DPP Research Group. Effects of Acute Withdrawal From Metformin on the Development of Diabetes in the Diabetes Prevention Program. Diabetes Care 26:977-85, 2003.
14. The DPP Research Group. Prevention of Type 2 diabetes with troglitazone in the Diabetes Prevention program. Diabetes 2005;54:1150-56.
15. The DPP Research Group. Strategies to identify adults at high risk for type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2005; 28:138-44.
16. The DPP Research Group. Success in achieving the weight and activity goals in lifestyle participants in the Diabetes Prevention Program. Obesity Research 2004;12:1426-34.
17. The DPP Research Group. Impact of intensive lifestyle and metformin therapy on cardiovascular (CVD) risk factors in the Diabetes Prevention Program. Diabetes Care 2005;28:888-94.
18. Crandall J, Schade D, Ma Y, Fujimoto w, Barrett-Connor E, Fowler S, Dagogo-Jack S, Andres R for the DPP Research Group. The influence of age on the effects of lifestyle modification and metformin in prevention of diabetes. J Gerontology 2006;61:1075-81.
19. Walker E, Molitch M, Kramer K, Kahn S, Ma Y, Edelstein S, Smtih K, Johnson M, Kitabchi A, Crandall J, for the DPP Research Group. Adherence to preventive medication: predictors and outcomes in the Diabetes prevention program. Diabetes Care 2006;29:1997-2002.
20. Cohen HW, Crandall JP, Hailpern SM, Billett HH. Aspirin resistance associated with HbA1c and obesity in diabetic patients. Journal of Diabetes and its Complications 2007, in press.
Books & Chapters
1.Crandall J and Tuck C. Rational In-patient Management of Diabetes Division of Endocrinology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. 1994 (1st edition), 2001 (2nd edition)
2. Smith D and Crandall J. Exercise training in special populations: Diabetes; in Cardiac Rehabilitation in the Twenty-First Century. Wenger, Smith, Ed. Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York 1999.
3. Crandall J and Shamoon H. Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes; in Therapy for Diabetes Mellitus and Related Disorders, Fourth Edition. American Diabetes Association, 2004.
4.Crandall J and Barzilai N. Diabetes Mellitus; in Merck Manual of Health and Aging. Beers M., Ed. Merck Research Laboratories, 2004.
5. Crandall J. Diabetes Mellitus and other disorders of carbohydrate metabolism; in The Merck Manual (18th edition). Merck Research Laboratories, New Jersey, 2005.
6. Crandall J. Type 2 Diabetes: Geriatric Considerations.; in Type 2 Diabetes: Principles and Practice (2nd edition), Goldstein & Muller-Wielnad, editors. (in press).
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.