The Einstein-Montefiore coronary care units (CCUs) regularly contribute patients to the clinical research program studies.
Studies have included:
- acute myocardial infarction **
- platelet GP IIb/IIIa receptor blockers for treatment of unstable coronary syndromes
- comparing therapeutic strategies for treatment of life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias
- thrombolysis in myocardial infarction (TIMI) trials
- angiogenesis trials using vascular endothelial growth factors
** Approximately 2 heart attacks occur each minute, and cardiac arrest accounts for 1 of every 5 deaths each year in the U.S. However, there is currently no blood test in clinical use to identify myocardial ischemia, a potential precursor of heart attack.
Researchers are evaluating a novel blood test to assess its predictive and clinical utility to detect problems with blood flow to the heart muscle. Currently, the Einstein-Montefiore Heart Center is the only health care institution in the greater New York area conducting this innovative study.