Renjian Zheng, Ph.D.
Dr. Renjian Zheng’s main research has focused on functional and structural characterization of cardiac ion channel proteins encoded by hERG, KCNQ1(α) and KCNE (β) genes. The functional domains of ion channels play an essential role in ion channel biological process that include correct channel folding, assembly, trafficking, and gating. Mutations on these genes produced a severe form of LQT syndrome.
Through a combination of molecular biology methods, biochemical analysis and three-dimensional structural description, Dr. Zheng seeks to further understand the molecular basis of the function of cardiac ion channels and their role in cardiac arrhythmias.
- Marika L. Osterbur, Renjian Zheng. Robert Marion, Christine Walsh, Thomas V. McDonald (2015) An interdomain hERG mutation produces an intermediate long QT syndrome Human Mutation. Accepted
- Teraya M. Donaldson, Li-Min Ting, Chenyang Zhan, Wuxian Shi, Renjian Zheng, Steven C. Almo, Kami Kim (2014) Structural Determinants of the 5′-Methylthioinosine Specificity of Plasmodium Purine Nucleoside Phosphorylase PLoS One. 9(1): e84384
- Yamini Krishnan, Yan Li, Renjian Zheng, Vikram Kanda, Thomas Vincent McDonald. (2012) Mechanisms underlying the protein-kinase mediated regulation of the HERG potassium channel synthesis Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1823(8):1273-84.
- Yamini Krishnan, Renjian Zheng, Cristine Walsh, Yingying Tang, Thomas V. McDonald (2012) Partially dominant mutant channel defect corresponding with intermediate LQT2 phenotype Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 35(1):3-16.
- Yi Bao, Louis M Weiss, Yan Fen Ma, Michael P Lisanti, Herbert B Tanowitz, Bhaskar C Das, Renjian Zheng, and Huan Huang (2010) Molecular cloning and characterization of mitogen-activated protein kinase 2 in Trypanosoma cruzi Cell Cycle. 9(14): 2888–2896.
- Xiao-Qin Ren, Gong Xin Liu, Louise E. Organ-Darling, Renjian Zheng, Karim Roder, Hitesh K. Jindal, Jason Centracchio, Thomas V. McDonald, and Gideon Koren (2010) Pore mutants of HERG and KvLQT1 downregulate the reciprocal currents in stable cell lines Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 299(5):H1525-34.
- Renjian Zheng, Keith Thompson, Edmond Obeng-Gyimah, Dana Ellise, Jerri Chen and Thomas V. McDonald (2010) Analysis of the interactions between the C-terminal cytoplasmic domains of KCNQ1 and KCNE1 channel subunits. Biochem J. 428(1):75-84.
Material in this section is provided by individual faculty members who are solely responsible for its accuracy and content.