We recently published the findings of our pilot year in a scientific journal. We are currently in the process of developing the next phase of the BRCAcommunity Study. For more information about the study or to express interest in participating, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About 1 in 40 Ashkenazi (Eastern European) Jews carries a BRCA gene mutation that can put them and their family members at an increased risk for certain cancers. Knowing your BRCA results can help guide medical decisions.
The genetics team at Montefiore Medical Center, in conjunction with the Program for Jewish Genetic Health, is now offering BRCA mutation testing at a subsidized rate for interested individuals as part of a research initiative.
- are at least 25 years old,
- have one or more Ashkenazi Jewish grandparent(s) and,
- have not already had BRCA testing
then you may be eligible to participate and pursue BRCA mutation testing through this initiative.
Please note: You can only complete testing through this initiative if you are able to come to our offices located in the Bronx or Hartsdale, N.Y.
What does participation entail?
If you are eligible to participate in this initiative:
- You will come in for an appointment, meet with a genetic counselor, and provide a blood or saliva sample for your BRCA testing. There will be a nominal cost of $100 for testing for the three Ashkenazi Jewish founder mutations if this testing is not covered by your health insurance. The testing and the associated costs will be discussed with you by the study coordinator or genetic counselor prior to pursuing testing.
- You will be asked if you would like to participate in an optional research study which consists of completing
short surveys over the course of the study.
Click here to learn about BRCA gene mutations in the Ashkenazi Jewish community.
Please note: We are currently in the process of developing the next phase of the BRCAcommunity Study and we are not currently enrolling participants. For more information about the study or to express interest in participating, email us at email@example.com.
Testing is funded in part by the Foundation for Medical Evaluation & Early Detection.