The Einstein-Montefiore Resnick Gerontology Center sponsors a competitive award program supporting intramural research related to aging. The program provides funding for research activities for intramural senior trainees and junior faculty at Einstein with a mentored research project.
A request for proposals is usually distributed in May of each year, with one-year grant awards made in July.
- Andreas Jenny, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Developmental and Molecular Biology
"Functional assessment of chaperone mediated autophagy during aging in drosophila melanogaster"
Mentor: Ana-Maria Cuervo, MD PhD
- Michael Gertner, MS, Graduate Student, Department of Neuroscience
"Presenilins in Alzheimer'sdisease: how do they regulate synaptic function?"
Mentor: Suzanne Zukin, PhD
- Pierfilippo De Sanctis, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Cognititve Neurophysiology Laboratory
"Performance-modulated differences in prefrontal cortex activitation during task switching in an elderly sample"
Mentor: John J. Foxe, PhD
- Yan Sun, MD, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
"Female Reproductive Senescence and the role of gonadotropin inhibitory hormone (GnIH)"
Mentor: Genevieve Neal-Perry MD, PhD
- Jessica Zwerling, MD MS, Instructor in Neurology, Department of Neurology
"Subclinical Neuropathy in the elderly and the risks of falls"
Mentor: Richard Lipton, MD
- Diane Lebesgue Ph.D.
"GPR30: a new mediator of estradiol neuroprotection in aging"
- Eliseo A. Eugenin. Ph.D.
"Role of Tight Junction protein expression in human smooth muscle cells during the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis"
- Colette Knight. M.D.
“Resveratrol activation of SIRT1 is essential for glucose regulation in aging models"
- Erkan Buyuk, M.D., Fellow
"Anti-aging potential of the ovarian neurotrophin system"
- Enko N. Kiprilov, M.S.
"The Role of Primary Cilia in Senescence and Differentiation: the Human Embryonic Stem Cell Model"
- Gil Atzmon, PhD., Instructor, Department of Medicine
"Long Telomeres and the Insurance of Exceptional Longevity"
- Molly Zimmerman, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Neurology
"Sleep Assessment of Community Dwelling Elderly"
- Hillel W. Cohen, MPH, DrPH, Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Population Health
"Cardiovascular disease and antiplatelet therapy in aging diabetics"
- Carol A. Derby, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Neurology/ Epidemiology and Population Health
"Establishment of a nutritional database for the Einstein Aging Study"
- Francine Einstein, MD, Fellow, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Women's Health
"The impact of the intrauterine environment on the development of age-related diseases"
- Laura J. Juszczak, PhD, Department of Physiology & Biophysics
"Comparative Vibrational Spectroscopy of Collagen and Tau Reveals Parallels of Gelation and Fibrillation"
- Elizabeth Dinces, MD, MS, Assistant Professor, Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
"Aging and Sound Perception: Effects of Attention on Target Sound Detection With Competing Sources"
- Yolonda R. Colemon, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
"The Impact of Late-life Minor Depression on Healthcare Utilization and Costs"
- Derek M. Huffman, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine
"Development of a Viral System to Study the Long-Term Effects of IGF-1 Overexpression in Rat Hypothalamus with Aging on Energy Homeostasis"
- Jeannette R. Mahoney, PhD, Neuropsychology Fellow/Research Associate, Department of Neurology, Division of Cognitive and Motor Aging
"Multisensory Integration and Cognitive Motor Aging
- Hannes E. Buelow, PhD, Assistant Professor, Departments of Genetics & Neuroscience
"The Role of Glycosaminoglycans in Organismal Aging"
- "Brain Aging Knowledge, Attitudes, and Beliefs in an Urban Naturally-Occurring Retirement Community"
Joshua R. Steinerman, MD, Assistant Professor of Neurology, Department of Neurology, Division of Aging and Dementia
- Markus Bitzer, M.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology
"Molecular mechanisms of chronic kidney disease and age-related changed in the kidney"
Mentor: Thomas Hostetter, MD
- Zaher Merhi, MD, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Neuroscience
"The influence of age-related changes in IGF-1 on the menopausal transition"
Mentors: Anne Etgen, PhD; G. Neal-Perry, MD PhD
- Michael Oertel, Ph.D., Instructor, Marion Bessin Liver Research Center, Dept. of Medicine, and Division of Hepatology
"The influence of age on cell competition between transplanted liver cells and host hepatocytes"
Mentor: David Shafritz, MD
- Amy Sanders, MD, Fellow in Geriatric Neurology, Einstein Aging Study, Department of Neurology
"Cognitive effects of bilingualism in normal elderly individuals"
Mentor: Joe Verghese, MBBS, MS
- Yuehong Tong, Ph.D., Instructor, Department of Urology
"The role of G-protein coupled receptors in age-related decline in urogenital function"
Mentor: Kelvin Davies, PhD
- Erik Lee Snapp, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology.
"Regulation of protein translocation and quality control during development and aging"
- Roee Holtzer, Ph.D, Assistant Professor, Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology & Department of Neurology.
"Executive control of learning and memory in pre-clinical dementia"
- Samit Malhotra, M.D., Instructor, Department of Neurology.
"Alzheimer's disease and ischemia"
- Mitesh Patel, M.D., Microsurgery Research Fellow, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
"Effects of pulsed electromagnetic fields on wound healing in aged subjects"