Welcome to the Psychosocial Oncology Research Program!
Summer 2012 Volunteers (l to r): Alexandra F., Gabrielle M., Elizabeth R.
How to Become a Psychosocial Oncology Program Volunteer:
I just wanted to thank you again for allowing me to come back to the BOLD team this summer. The experience, both this year and last, has been incredible. The Psychosocial Oncology Program is truly amazing and I am honored that I was able to be a part of it. I have learned so much from both of you, and I am deeply thankful. I will truly never forget the patients I have been fortunate enough to work with and it was humbling to hear their stories and see their strength first hand. As the granddaughter of a breast cancer survivor, all I can say is that your program is one of a kind, extremely important and very much needed in the oncology world. I cannot wait to go back to Barnard and tell them the wonders of this program and see if we can fundraise and help in any way! Thank you again and I look forward to maintaining a relationship with you both, as well as the PSOP!
Our commitment to you includes:
- Providing you with hands-on training and experience in behavioral cancer research.
- Opportunities to participate in community outreach activities as applicable.
- Offering supervision by licensed psychologists and behavioral researchers.
- Ensuring that you have a supportive, nurturing environment in which to learn & grow!
- Credit for volunteer hours worked for school requirements.
- Sharing our data with you for academic purposes (dissertation, poster, etc.) after 6 months of successful volunteer participation.
Due to the importance of our work, we ask you to make a serious and genuine commitment to our program, by agreeing to the following:
- Volunteering for a minimum of 5 hours per week for 12 months.*
- Being prompt and responsible for all scheduled volunteer hours and appointments related to the program.
- Making up hours that you missed.
- Responding within 24 hours to staff phone calls and emails.
- Taking initiative and being persistent with study recruitment and assessments.
- Representing yourself and the program in a professional and enthusiastic manner, via speech, behavior, and dress.
Requirements to become a volunteer:
- Submit your CV or resume and cover letter by email to: email@example.com
- Attend an interview with PSOP Program coordinators
- Provide 2 – 3 professional references
- Upon acceptance into the program undergo medical clearance by Einstein
- Complete CITI online ethics course