Office of International Services (OIS)

J-1 Travel

To travel to another country other than your country of citizenship or permanent residence, you may be required to secure a visa from the country you want to visit. You should contact the consulate or embassy of the country you intend to visit to determine what documents you will need.

To re-enter the United States you will need the following documents:

  • A valid passport (unless exempt from passport and visa requirements).
  • A valid visa in your passport (unless you are re-entering from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean Islands after a trip of less than 30 days).
  • A valid DS-2019 Form signed for re-entry by the Responsible Officer in the OIS–Belfer Room 1205.

If you are considering travel outside of the U.S., always contact the OIS to ensure that your papers are in order well in advance of your departure.

If the J-1 Visa in your passport has expired, you will need to make an application at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad to obtain a new J-1 Visa stamp before returning to the U.S. Complete the Request for DS-2019 for travel form. Have your Faculty Sponsor sign the form and return to the OIS.

Please visit the U.S. Department of State-Embassies for specific procedures on making the Visa application. You will need to present:

  • The original DS-2019 Form, signed by you and the Responsible Officer.
  • Evidence of intent to depart the U.S. after completion of program.
  • Passport valid for at least six months.
  • Form DS-160 "Nonimmigrant Visa Application" and Form DS-158 "Work History for Nonimmigrant Applicant".
  • Photograph.
  • Application fee (currently $180.00).

There is no way for us to predict how long it will take for your visa to be issued at a U.S. Consulate abroad. You should always consult with the OIS prior to departing the U.S. to ensure that your documents are in order and discuss the travel first with your Einstein advisor to plan in the event that you may be delayed. Please read the latest notice from the U.S. Department of State on the current visa processing situation. 

Travel to Canada, Mexico, and Adjacent Islands

J-1 Exchange Visitors may travel to a contiguous territory (Canada, Mexico or the adjacent islands*) without having to obtain a new visa at a U.S. Consulate before re-entry to the U.S.  You would need to apply for re-admission to the U.S. after an absence not exceeding 30 days.

This rule, called "automatic revalidation of visa" benefits those who have an expired J-1 Visa in their passport.

To be eligible for this benefit, you must:

  • Presently be in valid J-1 status. 
  • Have a valid Form I-94.
  • Have a current Form DS-2019, endorsed by the Responsible Officer for travel.
  • Have a valid passport.

*The "adjacent islands" are:

Saint Pierre, Miquelon, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Bermuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, Jamaica, the Wind-ward and Leeward Islands, Trinidad, Martinique, and other British, French, and Netherlands territories or possessions in or bordering on the Caribbean Sea.

Click here to log in