Office of International Services (OIS)

Dependents of J-1 Research Scholars

Spouses and unmarried minor children (under 21 years of age) are eligible to apply for J-2 Visa status. J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for an ‘Employment Authorization Document’ (EAD) from the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services, as long as it is not for the purpose of supporting the J-1.

An ‘Application for Employment Authorization’ is made on Form I-765.

Upon completion, this form should be submitted to the USCIS, along with the supporting documentation to: 

Attn: AOS
2501 S. State Hwy. 121, Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067 

Please read the instructions on the form carefully to ensure that you are submitting the required documentation with the application. A sample letter is available to be used as guide in the preparation of your materials.

The processing time for J-2 applications may take 60-90 days for issuance of the EAD card. Please keep this timetable in mind when filing for either an initial or extension of work authorization.

After the EAD has been received from the USCIS, J-2 dependents may apply for a Social Security Number. Unlike the J-1 Research Scholar, the J-2 dependent is subject to payment of Social Security taxes. For further information on federal & state tax laws, please consult the IRS Publication 519, ‘United States Tax Guide for Aliens’ 

Click here to log in