At least 6 months prior to the effective date of the intended employment, the sponsoring department should submit the following documents to the OIS, Belfer Building, Room 1201.
- A completed and signed Applicant Worksheet with a copy of the applicant’s CV, copy of highest degree (translated & evaluated, if necessary) and a copy of the biographical page from applicant’s passport. Spouses and unmarried dependent children (under 21 years of age) are eligible to apply for H-4 visa status. Their applications should be made together with the H-1B Temporary Worker’s application at the U.S. Consulate abroad.
- A completed and signed Department Application for Sponsorship of H-1B.
- A Letter of Support signed by the Faculty Sponsor/Supervisor.
- A check made payable to Department of Homeland Security in the amount of $325.00.
- An Einstein check made payable to the Department of Homeland Security in the amount of $500.00 for the Anti-Fraud Fee. You will need to prepare a check request and submit it to the Grant Accounting Office along with a copy of the USCIS Fee Schedule.
The normal processing time for approval of an H-1B is approximately 4-5 months. If you intend to offer employment to the applicant sooner than that, you will need to request premium processing for this case. Expediting the case will reduce to processing time to about 2 months and requires an additional check for $1,225.
The OIS will review the documents and mail them to the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). Upon approval of the petition, the USCIS will send the original approval notice to the OIS and will send a cable to the U.S. Consulate abroad. The OIS will advise the Faculty Sponsor/Supervisor of the approval of the visa. The OIS will give the original approval notice to the Faculty Sponsor/Supervisor who will be responsible to send the original approval to the individual abroad.
Applicants are strongly advised to wait for the original approval notice before scheduling an appointment at the U.S. Consulate abroad or before booking airline tickets.