G97 - Certificate of Fitness Application Process
Supervision of Commercial Cryogenic/Refrigerated Systems (O2, N2O, CO2, N2, AR); Storage Handling and Use of Cryogenic/Refrigerated Liquefied Gas Cylinders. This site describes how to apply for Certificate of Fitness as a Laboratory Supervisor through the New York City Fire Department. The regulation requiring Certificate of Fitness for laboratories in New York City is under provisions outlined in "The Rules of the City of New York", Title 3, Chapter 10-01, section (c) Laboratory Safety, item (1).
The New York City Fire Department is currently allowing Einstein to establish a self-certification program for issuing G97 - Certificates of Fitness providing the following conditions are met:
- Applicant must hold a high school diploma or its equivalent plus one year of experience in the supervision of cryogenic/refrigerated systems and/r in the storage and handling of cryogenic/refrigerated liquefied gas.
- Applicant must be familiar with the information present in the G-97 study material for Chemical Laboratory Supervisors.
- Applicant must complete G97 Exam.
- Applicant must submit one passport photo with light blue background. Photo will be taken in EH&S.
- Applicant must submit a completed and signed FDNY Certificate of Fitness Application (A-20) with a notarized Statement of Applicant for Certificate of Fitness (Letter will be completed in EH&S and must be signed in the presence of a notary).
- Applicant must review, complete and sign enclosed checklist titled "G97 - Alternative Issuance".
If you do not wish to take advantage of the self-certification program and would rather go to the Bureau of Fire Prevention in Brooklyn to take the test, please contact the Fire Safety Officer, Robert Shaffer at X2031 or Melanie Brown at X4152.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Melanie Brown at X4152 or email Melanie Brown