Edward Burns, M.D.
Dr. Burns is the executive dean of Einstein. In this capacity, he has responsibility for the support of clinical and basic science research, the College of Medicine’s doctoral and postdoctoral programs, the College of Medicine’s diversity program, the development of scientific discoveries into biomedical technology and the licensing of these technologies to pharmaceutical and biotechnology partners. He also oversees Einstein’s policies relating to the responsible conduct of research, human subject research, biomedical ethics and the humane use of laboratory animals.
Dr. Burns is a graduate of Yeshiva University and received his M.D. degree from Einstein. Over a thirty-year period, he has been a faculty member of the College of Medicine and is a professor in the departments of pathology and of medicine. He served as director of clinical hematology at the Jack D. Weiler Hospital of Albert Einstein College of Medicine, and the vice chair and director of laboratories at Einstein and Montefiore Medical Center. He is the author of more than 50 scientific publications, a textbook of hematology and the Collins Medical Dictionary and Health Guide, and holds five U.S. patents for his own inventions. Since joining the Einstein faculty, Dr. Burns has been awarded the Samuel M. Rosen Award for Outstanding Teaching (Clinical) and the Harry Eagle Award for Outstanding Basic Science teaching. In 2015 Dr. Burns received Einstein’s Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- Appointments and Promotions
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Human Subject Research Oversight
- Biomedical Ethics Support
- Academic Support
- Faculty and Chair Recruitment
- Panel on Unlawful Harassment
- Biotechnology Licensing
- Sue Golding Graduate Division of Biomedical Science
- Belfer Institute of Advanced Biomedical Sciences
- Animal Institute Support
- Laboratory Construction Oversight
- Faculty Space Issues
- Grant and Sponsored Research Review
- Academic Computing
- Clinical Academic Liaison with Montefiore Medical Center
- Clinical Research Liaison with Jacobi Medical Center